Chapter 3

The teleporter worked on the first test, which made me happy. Normally it takes a few times. Dempsey quickly put the thunder gun into the PAP as I stood at the window, leaning on it. Once again, I felt his gaze on me as he whistled. I recognized those songs. One was about a boy named Yankee Doodle—what an awful name—and the other was their...what was it called? "National anthem"? Well, whatever it's called doesn't matter.

The PAP was taking much longer today, perhaps I needed to do some repairs on it. My face felt as if it were shoved into a fire as Dempsey continued gazing at me. Is there nothing else around here for his gaze to turn to and examine? Not that I mind—Edward, you're doing it again!

The machine finally finished and brought out Zeus's canon, making Dempsey grin idiotically. "Ready to head back?" he asked. I shook my head as I put my MP40 in. For heaven's sake, just take Nikolai's advice and tell him already! I took a deep breath and bit my lip.

"D-Dempshey?" I whispered, silently cursing my stuttering.

"Yeah?" he replied. His gaze remained fixed on my figure as I kept my own gaze on the PAP.

"I...Ich liebe dich!" I said quickly and snapped my eyes shut, blushing furiously. Dempsey was at a loss.

"W-what?"

I sighed shakily. I was so fearful of his reaction that I almost didn't want to tell him. "I-Ich love jou," I translated. From the corner of my eye, I could see his eyes widen in shock. Dammit! I shouldn't have said anything! The PAP finally finished and I grabbed the gun before teleporting us back down, rushing out the room.

"Richtofen!" Dempsey exclaimed, but I kept running.

Faster, faster! I don't want Dempsey catching up to me! I arrived at my room after what felt like eternity and slammed the door shut. The bed invited me with open arms as I laid down, holding the pillow tightly. I sighed shakily and, for the first time, let myself sob aloud into the pillow.

You idiotic, utter fool! Taking a drunk's advice is always a horrible idea and look where it got you! I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as I tried to contain myself.

It seemed like hours, which it probably was, before I calmed down finally. I decided to go back out and try for some more Widow's Wine to drown my sorrows. The windows seemed more barren than usual as I passed by. It just meant I had all the quiet to think to myself.

Do I love Dempsey? Yes. Did I expect him to love me in return? No. I thought that he may perhaps love me so that I may know what it feels like to love and to be loved. Everything I wish and hope for never happens. My dreams, my goals, they all end up in smoke.

I was lucky again when receiving Widow's Wine once more and took a large gulp. My mind was growing fuzzy again, making me smile. This is just what I needed. That's when the sounds of a ball smacking against the wall sounded nearby. Curiosity took hold, directing my footsteps to the second lobby—which was deemed the MP40 room. I saw Dempsey throwing the ball at the wall and catching it as he sat next to the mystery box.

"Dempshey? Are jou alright?" I asked and sat next to him. He merely shrugged as he held the ball, turning it over in his hands. "Ich am shorry."

He looked at me finally, questioningly. "What for?" he inquired.

"Ich shouldn't have said anyzhing," I whispered. It was lucky that it didn't sound like I whimpered. Dempsey shook his head.

"No, I should've said something," he sighed.

"Like vhat?"

He bit his lip hesitantly. "That I like you," he revealed. My eyes widened in shock as my heart thumped wildly in my chest. The sound of my pounding heart nearly made me deaf. "I don't know why, but I like you too." Dempsey smiled softly, chuckling when noticing my increasingly darkening blush.

"Ich liebe dich," I smiled shyly, hesitantly holding his hand. He thought for a moment.

"Ich leebe dish?" he tried. I chuckled, making him blush lightly, and shyly kissed his cheek.

"Jou'll get zhere. It's getting late, ve should go to shleep," I said and stood, followed by Dempsey.

He proudly led me onto the stage and to the lobby, singing at the top of his lungs about how he has a lover now. My blush darkened once again as I held his hand tightly. He looked back with a smile before picking me up bridal style and carrying me back to my—I suppose it's now our—room.

He kissed my cheek proudly as he laid down with me on top of his chest. I tried to hide my blush by burying my head in his chest, what little good that did. He chuckled and kissed the top of my head as the two of us slowly drifted to sleep.