Chapter One

"Sutton, baby, please just put this on, we are going to be late and we can't be late tonight. You know how important this is for momma," I plead with those defiant green irises glaring at me, challenging me like they always do.

"No," she sternly rejects the offered dress and rips the garment from my clutches. My daughter whips the dress to the floor and crosses her arms over her chest. "Why can't I wear pants like Henry and Noah?"

"You wear jeans everyday, please, I'm just asking for this one night you wear a dress. We all have to dress nice tonight. Momma and I are wearing dresses and so is your sister," I persuade, but my daughter is the most stubborn one out of everyone in this household.

"I hate dresses mommy! You know that!" Sutton bellows causing her sister to jump slightly in the corner.

"Sutton Grace, I'm done arguing with you. I'm going to make sure your brothers don't need any help and when I come back, you better be in that damn dress," I demand, rising from my trembling knees of fury. I shuffle through the room and gently cup Harper's chin, guiding her big hazel eyes to meet mine. "Convince your sister," I softly whisper through a weak smile before exiting the room.

Sutton screams out her anger, inspiring me to close their bedroom door behind me. I close my eyes and exhale out all my stress, but then a soft pair of lips are pressing against mine, washing away all my worries.

"Come on, take a breather," Regina whispers into my mouth before she pulls away. My wife slips her hand into mine and ushers me back into our bedroom. "Close the door," she instructs and I obey her request. "Listen Emma, maybe we should stop fighting Sutton. She clearly feels very strongly about the dress situation."

"It's one night. One night, Regina." I shake my head in annoyance and busy myself with helping my wife with her diamond necklace. "I know how important this event is for you. You and Ivy worked very hard for this benefit, our kids can dress nice for one evening," I scowl and release the chain behind Regina's neck.

"Emma," my wife breathes and spins around to meet my gaze. She smiles, a warm genuine grin and cups my cheeks. "I love you and I really appreciate you trying to make sure this evening is perfect, but maybe we need to come up with a compromise with Sutton, to help ease our stress for this evening."

I breathe out a long shaky breath and twist my lips as I consider her suggestion. "R-Regina..." I stutter as my mind tries to formulate the words that are buzzing around in my head. "Do you...do you ever think that maybe Sutton...umm..."

"Is gay?" She offers with one dark eyebrow raised in questioning. I slowly nod, while my wife simply chuckles in response. "Sometimes, she does remind me so much of you," my wife so kindly teases.

"Hey! I wear dresses," I counter and pry her fingers from my face. "Don't be a brat," I scold and swat my wife's thick bottom, producing a small squeal in return. "It's just, she wants nothing to do with dresses or Barbies, the complete opposite of Harper. I'm surprised she even plays with Harper, because she only plays with boys. She's constantly playing sports, which is great, don't get me wrong..."

"I know," Regina agrees with a small smile. "She might be...or maybe she's just a tomboy, who knows, but she's eight now and I think we should allow her some freedom on what she feels comfortable in."

"Yeah, I agree. I don't want her growing up to resent us or feel like she can't be who she is because we forced her to be someone else."

"Alright maybe we can suggest some leggings beneath the dress as a compromise?"