Chapter Twenty Three

The weekend was absolutely one of the worst weekends of my life. After spending two weeks with my children glued to my side and one glorious week with Regina, having to spend an entire forty-eight hours without any of them seemed down right cruel.

The house was painfully silent and I was all too aware of every creek this house makes at night when no one else is around. I became so bored I was sure I was on the brink of losing my sanity, so I gathered my children's laundry, but by the time that was all complete, I was alone yet again.

Luckily, Regina spent the entire day texting me with flirty little messages to help keep my mind busy. When the evening rolled around I sat down with a nice glass of wine and cuddled into my couch with a good book, but it was more than hard to focus when my phone was begging for my attention every five minutes.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too and this sneaking around is going to be so hard with our four children who I believe are secret spies." I smirk to myself and send the message, ready to place my phone back down, but those three little bubbles pop up and already have my full attention. 

"You're an idiot." I roll my eyes and decide to just put my phone down so I can concentrate on my book, but then the damn device is already vibrating in my hand, alerting me that Regina has more playful banter awaiting for me. "Are you free this evening? I was wondering if you would be up for a date."

I blink at the screen and furrow my brows as I read the message over again. There's a swarm of butterflies flapping around in my stomach and tingling sparks zapping through my bloodstream, but I sigh knowing I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.

"Regina, you have the kids tonight. You can't go out."

"I know, but what I'm suggesting is more of a coffee date. I was hoping you'd be willing to sneak over around midnight. We can sit on the couch and drink coffee. We can stay up all night talking like we used to."

The corners of my mouth begin to ache and I realize it's because I'm frowning at the brightly lit screen before me. My heart flutters rapidly in my chest and I think the damn organ might just fly away. This has to be the sweetest thing she has ever suggested.

"You don't think the kids will hear us?"

"No, I don't believe so. They are heavy sleepers like a certain blonde I know..."

"Are you seriously pointing the finger when I'm always up before you. You pretend to sleep all the time!"

"Pretending and actually sleeping and being dead to the world are two very completely different things." I can practically hear the smugness in Regina's voice dripping from that text. "So, do we have ourselves a date?"

"Coffee at midnight...can't wait!"

~~~~~~~

My palms are sweating despite the bitter January bite of New York City. A few light flurries are beginning to fall eloquently from the sky and I can't help but tilt my head back to watch the snow descend. Between the peaceful midnight air and the white specs contrasting beautifully against the black sky, I am able to relax for just a moment before I sneak into that house.

I never felt comfortable in Regina's new home because I knew it was just another barrier wedging it's way between our marriage. Now tonight, as I stand outside the door, it's just another thing on my checklist to make my stomach flip recklessly.

Technically, this is a first date. This is the first attempt at setting our marriage back onto the right track with both of us agreeing to this new step forward. There's so much pressure riding on this evening and I just want everything to go well. I don't want to argue. I certainly don't want to cry anymore. I just want us back to who we were before a stressful job, before our kids and even before our marriage. I want the fun, adventurous, Emma and Regina, who teased and laughed when we first met.