Chapter Sixteen

Regina slides effortlessly off the couch and sweeps up my mug along with hers and disappears into the kitchen. My anxious nerves are on high alert from just the idea of being alone with Regina again after last night, but I fight against every instinct to remain calm. Soon she returns with fresh hot chocolates, mine piled high with extra whipped cream and slides back into her seat.

"Thank you," I shyly mutter from the thoughtfulness and hate how my mind immediately wanders back to our divorce.

Why can't she be this attentive and sweet at home?

Regina smiles politely and I watch in awe as she dips her finger into the fluffy white cream. My eyes are glued to the finger, just waiting for her to lick it clean provocatively. My heart starts to pick up it's pace, pounding fiercely in my chest as she raises her dirty finger.

That finger always was so talented...

Before I know it, Regina leans across the couch and slides the melting cream down my nose.

"Hey!"

"For earlier," she muses and then pops her finger into her mouth to wash away the sticky residue.

My nose scrunches up as I set down my drink onto the coffee table. My hands drop to the center cushion while I lean forward into her personal space.

"Clean it," I command.

Regina smiles fully proud of herself, but her eyes are stuck on the television in front of us. She slowly sips her steaming beverage and ignores my instructions completely. So, I lean a little further in, my nose just a hair away from her mouth and breathe in her sweet aroma.

"Lick it," I demand sternly, but she just chuckles under her breath and pretends to watch the holiday flick. "Regina Maria..."

My ex rolls her eyes and reaches out to wipe my nose clean with her index finger. Slowly she pops the sticky mess into her mouth and smiles innocently while her throat hums suggestively. I groan and slowly fall back into my seat. I use my sleeve to clean up the rest and try my best to focus on the movie.

Not even five minutes slip by before Regina shifts her position to face me. She curls up on the couch, tucking her Christmas stocking feet beneath her bottom and smiles softly in my direction.

"I'm so glad I came," she professes while she leans against the back of the couch. "Remember our first Christmas together in Sicily?"

"Yes," I allow my mouth to form into a grin from the distant memory as my eyes fall to stare aimlessly in my mug so I don't become trapped in her hypnotizing eyes. "I was so pregnant," I laugh nervously.

"You were so beautiful," she whispers like the notion was a reflex, causing my head to jerk up to meet her wistful gaze. Her features soften and for the first time in a long time, I actually see her. I see the woman I fell madly in love with eighteen years ago. "You still are."

"Regi-"

"No Emma, except the compliment. You deserve it."

"I-" I exhale slowly and find myself nodding along. "Thank you," I choke out, barely audible for either of us to hear.

"I'm so sorry if I ever made you feel otherwise because Emma I swear you are the most stunning woman I have ever laid eyes on."

My throat instantly constricts and cuts off my oxygen in take, so I scramble to sip my drink hoping that it will open up those airways once again. A burning flush fires rapidly through my veins and I know this hot chocolate has nothing to do with the sudden rising heat in the room.