Chapter 2

"Didn't think marriage involved so much paperwork," Frank muttered as we looked over the rings in the case. "What are the cheapest?"

"Um, well, some are sold in sets but that's usually made for male and female so one of the rings may be small," the worker said. "These are the cheapest ones."

He pulled out some rings and we tried them on. They were simple silver bands, some had small gems but we both got the cheapest ones we could find. We left the pawn shop and Frank sighed as we walked back to the house.

"I can't believe I am actually married," he said. "And to you of all people in the world."

"Hey, you're lucky to be married to me," I said.

Frank snorted and looked around at the boxes in the foyer.

"We have to actually unpack this shit," he said. "When's the meeting?"

"In two days," I said.

"Well, they're probably gonna do a shit ton of home inspections so we should probably get this place looking nice," Frank said.

We put his clothes into my closet, even though he was sleeping in the guest room. He was setting up his guitars when I stepped into the third bedroom. It was already transformed into a little nursery, I had put it together when I first started going to the adoption agencies in hopes that when they saw it they would be more lenient on giving me a child but they didn't give me a home inspection before dismissing me.

"Gerard?" Frank asked.

I picked up one of the stuffed animals from the crib as I cried quietly, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"What if they see through all this?" i asked. "What if they blacklist me and I'm never going to have a child?"

"Gerard, it's gonna be okay," He said, resting a hand on his shoulder. "I promise I will be the most lovey dovey husband and I will get you the cutest little baby there is."

I smiled, nodding my head.

"Ok, we need to put up some pictures," he said. "Frame some pictures of us."

"I'll print them off later." I said, setting the toy down and wiping my eyes. "We need to set up more of the little things, like our toothbrushes next to each other and I should know which one is your favorite mug and your favorite shoes."

"We'll get it all," he said. "But we also need a story. They know you, you have to have a reason for how we would get married so quick."

"Ok, well, we'll tell them that we used to date in high school and college but we broke up so...so you could take care of your sick grandma who lives out of state," I said. "And then you came back and we got back together and decided to get married."

"Would that work?" He asked.

"I think it's the most believable," i said. "This would probably be best."

"We're gonna have to practice pretending to be a couple," he said. "Isn't that right, Babe?"

I cringed slightly, scrunching up my nose.

"Oh god, please don't call me babe," I said. "You sound like a fuckboy. And it's weird having you call me any pet names."

"But we at least need to throw in a couple sweethearts," he said.

"Yeah," I said. "Sure thing, Honey."

"Yeah, okay, that does sound weird," he said.

"We have to be prepared," I said. "No matter how weird it is. We have to sell it, making it seem like we are actually in love with each other."