Chapter 20

Maybe our first date was more on the awkward side. We were both nervous at first but by the end we were more relaxed. However, it wasn't very on the romantic side, we were both acting more like friends than lovers. Maybe that's just because it was what we were used to. I wanted it to be romantic and sweet.

"Gerard, is everything okay?" Frank asked on the way home.

I nodded, noticing a figure sitting on the porch when we pulled up.

"Who's that?" Frank asked. "Were you expecting someone? Kristin's car is still here."

I got out and saw Jamia reading a book on the front porch.

"Hey, sweetheart, what are you doing?" I asked.

She looked up, tears staining her cheeks.

"I'm sorry, my parents were drunk and arguing and I didn't know where to go," she cried. "But your car wasn't in the driveway and I guessed that's the babysitter and I don't want to bother her but...I just didn't know where to go."

"Let's come inside, it's freezing out," Frank said. "Take a nice, hot shower and you can  sleep in the guest room."

I unlocked the door, noticing Kristin on the couch watching tv.

"Hey, who's this?" She asked. "Thought you were on a date."

"This is Jamia," Frank said. "How's Bandit?"

"Oh my god, you're the girl they adopted from," she said. "Oh it's nice to finally meet you."

"Yeah, you too," Jamia said.

"This is my sister-in-law, Kristin," I said. "Thanks for watching Bandit."

"Of course, I'll talk to you later," she said, giving us both hugs before she left.

"Alright, I'll show you the bathroom and guest room," Frank said.

He lead Jamia up the stairs and I folded up the blanket that Kristin had been using. After I tidied up I went to check on Bandit before going to my own room where Frank was waiting.

"I can sleep on the floor if you want," he offered. "I don't mind."

"No, come cuddle in the bed with me," I said. "You don't have to sleep on the floor."

"Is Jamia okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, she's just pretty upset," Frank said. "She'll be okay, though."

I smiled, kissing his cheek. I took off my clothes, changing into a pair of plaid pajama pants with a t-shirt. Frank wrapped his arms around my waist and I sighed.

"What's wrong?" He asked. "You've been acting weird ever since dinner."

"It's nothing, I just wish that there was a little bit more romance on our date," I said. "I know it's gonna be a weird adjustment transitioning to being a real couple but, like, it was just a little awkward and felt more like we were hanging out as friends."

"It'll get a little bit easier," he said. "I promise, it may be a little bit awkward now but everything will just sort itself out."

I smiled, giving him a soft kiss.

"I really hope so," I mumbled.

"Bandit looked pretty peaceful," he said. "And just as cute as ever."

I nodded, tossing the throw pillows on the bed aside. Frank was already in some pajamas, fussing with his hair in the mirror. He crawled into bed with me, kissing my cheek. I snuggled up close to his side after turning off the light, closing my eyes.