Seven

I spent the whole day practically glued to my phone. Max definitely noticed but apparently chose not to say anything while Kyle couldn't get enough of it.

"Dude, you have some serious issues if you're already whipped. What if this chick is ugly?" he said when we sat down to eat our take-out pizza.

"She isn't ugly."

"How do you know that though? You've never seen her!"

"I just know," I growled and grabbed two slices before heading to my room. Why hasn't she texted like she said she would?

"Kyle, lay off," Max scolded just before my door closed.

———

"Hello?"

"James! I'm so sorry I didn't text today, I've been working on this project and totally lost track of time."

I chuckled and looked at the clock: ten p.m. so I must have just fallen asleep.

"What kind of project?"

"We're doing this piece for art and I'm trying to turn my piano compositions into drawings. I'm hoping it will be like one of those flip-motion books but in time with my song."

"That sounds amazing!" She fell quiet. "What's wrong Lydia?"

"Oh nothing."

"Lydia." Thankfully I didn't have to give my speech again about being there to talk to because she sighed heavily and gave in.

"I'm not sure if it's going to work out and if it doesn't it will totally destroy me. Not just because of the grade though."

"What's the song about? I'm assuming there aren't words but what are you supposed to feel? What's the story?"

"It's my story."

"Thats brave." She giggled so lightly it sounded mostly like a sigh again.

"I just want to get it right."

"Well I'm sure you have it under control but please let me know if I can help with anything." She stayed silent and I sat up in bed before continuing. "Do you want to share what you've got so far?"

"It starts just like my story. I'm young and happy, playing with Tyler and having no cares. We grow up and become more serious but there's still that complete lightheartedness. Suddenly there's the accident."

"And then?"

"I'm not sure; maybe a little bit of everything."

"Like what Lydia?" She needed to talk through it all and I had the feeling she never got that chance.

"Denial, anger, guilt, depression, despair. A broken heart."

Lydia was sniffling lightly, I knew she was trying to hide it.

"I wish I could make you feel better."

"James, you definitely do!" The corner of my mouth lifted.

"Good. I want you to be happy Lydia. You deserve to be happy." She was quiet but I could feel her slight smile through the phone.

"So what were you doing all day while I was stuck in my own head?"

"Waited for your text of course! All day I was frantic and panicking over what I did wrong that caused the beautiful Lydia to forget about me." She burst out laughing and I found myself chuckling along. "I just did the usual, class and homework. Ate pizza for dinner."

"Where was the pizza from?"

"Pizzaroni's I think."

"Nooooo! You're supposed to get Valentino's, that's way better!"

"Valentino's is also double the price. I'm a college student with two male roommates who definitely can not afford to treat them both to Valentino's."

"You bought their pizza?"

"Of course I did. We usually buy each other a meal once a week so we aren't always eating leftovers alone while watching old Seinfeld reruns." That had her laughing even harder than before.

"James, I'm starting to lose faith in you. Pizzaroni's and Seinfeld? They're both horrible!"

"I completely agree with the Seinfeld comment but Pizzaroni's is not that bad, it's completely edible."

"Edible! You shouldn't be looking for edible you should be looking for delicious! This is pizza we're talking about, it's sacred." This had me joining in on her almost obnoxious laughter but I loved it.

"I apologize. I'll try to scrape by all week so I can afford not just edible but completely delicious pizza."

"Good. You should be making these necessary sacrifices already. What would you do without me?"

"I have no idea. I'm lucky you came along."

"Me too," she said sobering up a bit. "We better get some sleep. I'll text you tomorrow okay?"

"Are you sure? I don't want to be pining away all day again."

"I promise. Goodnight James."

"Goodnight Lydia."