06 - happy for me

"Go ahead and lie down on my bed. I'll sit at my desk chair," Mark says as he shuts the door to his bedroom. Donghyuck complies and sits on the soft, comfy bed. Mark wanders over to the swivel chair at his desk across the room, and he spins it around so that he faces Donghyuck. "Listen, everything's gonna be okay. What you saw in there wasn't real. Something was just tricking you into thinking you saw dolls and that you were locked in the closet."

"Mark, I was physically trapped in that wardrobe. I couldn't get out of it," Donghyuck insists.

"I believe you," Mark quickly responds, "It's just...I need you to try and keep calm. We can get through this...whatever this is."

Donghyuck nods, not wishing to argue with Mark about how real any of this was. Silence ensues, and Donghyuck looks over at the empty space on the bed beside him. He thinks about how much he wants to ask Mark to be beside him and hold him so that he can feel safe and secure, but he knows that requesting such a thing would not go over well. The last thing he wanted was to make Mark uncomfortable.

"You know...you never answered me earlier," Mark brings up.

"About what?" Donghyuck mumbles.

"About why it's no use trying to figure out how we got here," Mark answers promptly.

"I already told y-"

"No, you didn't tell me. You lied to me. I want to know the truth," Mark confronts him.

Donghyuck feels the queasiness in his stomach intensify at Mark's serious tone. He was growing irritated and impatient with him now that he realizes he lied, and Donghyuck wishes for nothing more than for the subject to go away.

"Please...stop," Donghyuck pleads weakly.

"I deserve to know, Donghyuck," Mark presses.

Donghyuck whimpers as Jaehyun's words fill his head. He didn't want to tell Mark the truth. He knew it could potentially ruin their friendship, and the last thing he wanted was to lose his one source of comfort in this nightmare. He is completely and utterly terrified of how Mark will handle hearing what happened, but Jaehyun made it very clear he had to know the truth.

"I...I lied about the last thing I remember," Donghyuck admits as he shuts his eyes, refusing to look at Mark as he speaks.

"Of course," Mark speaks flatly, "Well...what was it?"

••••

"Hey, I have some good news," Mark hums cheerfully as he rolls to a stop at a red light.

"What? Did you finally decide to quit being a loser," Donghyuck teases him as the light surprisingly turns green.

"No," Mark replies, rolling his eyes before proceeding to drive down the street, "So...I asked Yoojung out to the movies this weekend...and she said yes."

"Oh..." Donghyuck mumbles, his bright, cheery mood crashing the instant the word leaves his mouth.

"What? Are you not happy for me?" Mark asks with a sort of laugh that alerts Donghyuck he had to be careful how he worded his next response.

"No, no. It's nothing. I meant to say it like 'oh'," he lies as he puts more of a false cheer into his 'oh'.

"You act like I can't tell when you're lying," Mark confronts him in a significantly less lighthearted manner, "Why are you upset?"

Donghyuck purses his lips and turns to look out the passenger's side window of Mark's car. He didn't want to answer. He couldn't answer.

"Hyuck–"

"Don't 'Hyuck' me. Just stop," Donghyuck snaps, "I didn't have a problem, but if you want to think there is one, then fine."

"I'm not an idiot, Donghyuck. I know you. I've known you for years. You think I can't tell when my best friend is upset about something?" Mark presses, "What is it? Do you not like her or something? "

"Mark, fucking stop," Donghyuck growls.

"No, I want to know. If you have a problem with someone I want to date, I want to know why," Mark demands.

"You're being a prick," Donghyuck states bitterly.

Mark lets out a disbelieving scoff.

"Am I? Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was invalid for feeling concerned that my best friend isn't supporting me dating someone," Mark retorts as his anger suddenly spikes.

"Let me out," Donghyuck hisses.

"What?"

"I said let me out, you fucking idiot!" Donghyuck bellows as he clicks the bright red button to his seatbelt.

Mark notices this and instantly swerves up to the nearest curb, putting his car into park.

"What are you doing?" Mark asks, but Donghyuck doesn't answer. He just snatches one of the straps to his backpack and opens the door to Mark's car.

"Donghyuck."

He hops out and slips his arm through the strap, slinging it over his shoulder.

"Donghyuck, come back!"

He trudges into the street, deciding he needed to get as far away from Mark as possible.

"Donghyuck!" Mark's voice suddenly gets more frantic, but Donghyuck didn't care.  One more second in his presence and he'd lose it.

"Donghyuck, watch out!"

Unsure if he heard Mark correctly, he glances over to see Mark bounding towards him. As he looks into the street, he sees the headlights of an oncoming white car. Donghyuck feels a set of arms wrap tightly around him.

The shrill sound of car tires screeching against the pavement grate Donghyuck's ears for the short time he hears them. He then hears a loud, harsh thump against metal before an intense pain overtakes his entire body. It spreads like a wildfire and puts him into a brief state of agony just before everything goes black.