12 - finally free

Donghyuck weakly opens his heavy eyelids, struggling to do so, but successful nonetheless. As his groggy sight comes into focus, he finds he's in a room with seafoam blue walls and several pieces of bulky equipment around him: one of which beeps loudly in his ears.

Three boys sit in chairs just across the way from him: two of which are sleeping, and the third tapping his foot anxiously whilst looking down at his phone. The pink haired boy's eyes flicker up briefly, then back down. A sudden, sharp inhale comes from him before he perks up with wide eyes.

"Donghyuck?" he breathes, "Donghyuck!"

The boy grabs the one beside him by the bicep and starts shaking him aggressively.

"Jeno! Jeno! Jeno! Renjun! Guys! Wake up!" he squeaks.

Both boys groan and slowly come to to the sound of the excitable boy screeching in their ears.

"What is it, Jaemin?" Jeno asks in a low, raspy voice.

"Donghyuck!" he manages to get out as he points to Donghyuck watching them with furrowed eyebrows.

"Donghyuck!" Jeno gasps as he jumps up and bolts over to his bedside. The other two join soon after.

"What...happened?" he asks.

The three look amongst one another as they remain silent for far too long. It makes Donghyuck feel sick to his stomach.

"You and Mark were hit by a car..." Renjun speaks first.

"You both flatlined, but...they revived you," Jeno continues, "You've been in a coma for the past three days..."

"What about Mark? Where's Mark?" Donghyuck asks as he attempts to sit up in bed, "What happened to him?"

"No, don't get up," Jaemin quickly states as he and Jeno try pushing Donghyuck back.

"I have to see him," Donghyuck insists.

"There's no way..." Jaemin denies, "Your leg's broken."

"You're extremely injured," Renjun chimes in.

Donghyuck ceases his struggle despite his restlessness.

"What happened to Mark?" he asks again.

Donghyuck watches as Jeno and Jaemin exchange solemn glances before turning back to him with the same expressions. To say it was disconcerting was an understatement.

"Mark...took most of the impact," Jeno informs him as he places his hand on top of Donghyuck's, "He had a lot of broken bones..."

"The doctor said some ribs were broken, didn't he?" Jaemin asks.

"Yeah, and he said he suffered some internal bleeding as well," Jeno confirms.

"He looked like hell when I last saw him..." Renjun admits, "I'm surprised they let me. He was still in critical condition at that point."

"Is...is he..." Donghyuck stammers, fearing the answer the boys would give him. He didn't even have the strength to say it aloud, himself.

Before any of the three boys can answer his question, the door to Donghyuck's room opens. A man in a white doctor's coat enters swiftly with a clipboard in hand. He looks up from it and smiles warmly at Donghyuck.

"Donghyuck!" he chimes happily, "You're awake! That's fantastic!"

The doctor paces up to the heart monitor and starts scribbling a few things down on his clipboard.

"I'm Doctor Lee, but feel free to call me Jinki or Doc," he states with a warm smile.

"Where's Mark?" Donghyuck asks in a rushed, panicked voice.