Part 6

I woke up and it was dark. I blinked a few times, feeling a horrible pain radiating from my eye. I could barely open it. I put my hand up go it, it was swollen.

I laid there for a moment, taking in my surroundings. I couldn't see much except that I was in the backseat of a truck.

I didn't see anyone, so I sat up a little. I looked out the windows and realized I was in the middle of nowhere, all I saw were trees and darkness.

I'm in the damn woods, alone, at night. Yep, this is a horror movie.

I tried opening the door, and it wouldn't budge. I climbed up towards the front seat to see if there were keys anywhere.

Nope.

I looked around once more and decided to get out.

I quietly opened the door, and the interior lights came on. SHIT.

I quickly shut it and got down on the ground. I could hardly see anything but I started running. I ducked, I jumped, I ran over fallen trees and limbs and I ran until I couldn't anymore.

I stopped to catch my breath, and see where I needed to go. I noticed a lake ahead, and figured I could find a lake house and call the cops. Something. I couldn't let my life end up like this after everything I've been through.

I crept down to the lake, and began walking in the shadows. I didn't see any homes, lights, roads, nothing. Not even a pier. I decided I needed to keep walking and put as much distance between me and whoever took me.

After a few hours, my body was shutting down. My face hurt, my legs, I was so hungry. I just wanted sleep.

I found an opening between some rocks and decided to sleep there. I very cautiously crept inside, thankful the moon was nearly full tonight. I took my jacket off and rolled it up and laid my head on it. I passed out of exhaustion immediately.

*******

I woke up to the sunlight spilling across my face. I sat up, my eye feeling worse than ever.

I need to get up. I got to get out of this for my baby.

I started to stand up and I could smell smoke.

Oh God, please let it be someone camping nearby.

I ran out the cave, and stopped in my tracks immediately.

Enzo sat right outside the cave, sitting beside a campfire, cooking breakfast.

"How you feeling?" he asked, never looking up at me.

I didn't say anything, I stood there looking to see which way I could run. I already knew I reached the end. No more chances.

"I feel like shit." I didn't move, just stood there staring at him.

"Erin, go ahead and sit down. I'm not going to hurt you. Get you something to eat, and here take these for your headache." he passed me some medicine.

"What is this?"

"Morphine."

"I can't take these."

"Why?"

"All I can have is Tylenol. That'll probably hurt the baby."

His mouth dropped, and his features seemed to soften, almost like he was going to cry?

"Baby, huh? How far along are you?"

"10 weeks."

" No shit? Well this is probably harder to understand I suppose."

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. I am trying to figure out how I'm so calm right now."

"I don't blame you. This is a crazy fucked up situation for both of us."

"I'm sorry, for both of us? You weren't kidnapped. You're not pregnant, alone, and being sold to God knows who and shipped off for you and your future child to be doing God knows what! So please, enlighten me on how this is a fucked up situation for you? What do you get out of this? I've met you one time and now here I am being held captive by you. So thank you, Assassin." I yelled at him, stomping off to look over the water, not letting him see me cry. I refused to show my weakness anymore.

I heard him walk up behind me slowly.

"Erin, it's not what you think. I didn---"

"Can I please just have a moment alone for a second? I might never get this again. Please have a little compassion." I said.

"Yeah, you can. I'm truly sorry for everything. Just know that." he said softly.

He walked back off and sat down.

I sat there at the water, I don't know how long. I put my head on my knees and just looked out, wishing I was here for any other reason.

It was truly beautiful. I never took trips growing up, I didn't even see the lake or ocean until I was in college.

Despite everything, I felt the peace of being there. It was probably the last time I would ever see this. Might as well enjoy it.