Part 10

A few months had passed since we fled to Florida. I saw nothing about me in the news. No online articles, nothing. Nobody cared enough to even say I was missing.

Cali was still in a coma. Enzo had a nurse friend check in from time to time and give him updates on her condition. The doctors were saying it was up to her when she wanted to wake up or not.

I was 20 weeks pregnant now. I've assumed my new life and pretend role as expecting mother and wife. We even made friends with our neighbors next door.

Life was actually normal and good all things considering.

Enzo hasn't mentioned our kiss and we haven't done anything else since then. I could feel the way I felt about him changing. At first it was lust, maybe. I was in shitty positions all my life and he was the first to rescue me. But now. We've actually grown to know one another. About our lives, our pasts, our goals in life.

The feelings I had for him had grown. Just as my belly has. I rubbed my hand over my growing stomach, closing my eyes as I envisioned my future child. I smile as I think, knowing that today is the day I find out if it's a boy or a girl.

Knock, knock

Enzo opens my bedroom door and walks in.

"Hey, ready to go?" He smiles down at me.

"Yep, been ready."

We sit at the doctor's office, my knee trembling as I sit and wait anxiously. This is the slowest appointment yet.

"Mrs. Russo?"

We stand up and follow the ultrasound technician into a dark room. I lay back on the bed, and Enzo stands beside me.

"So, what we are doing today is an anatomy scan. We check the baby to make sure he or she is growing perfectly and that nothing abnormal is seen. We also can determine the sex today if you two would like to know."

Enzo reaches down and grabs my hand, making my heart flutter. I wish he were the father instead.

"Yes. We want to know the sex."
I nod eagerly.

"Great, so lie back and lift your shirt up, just tuck it in your bra so we won't get your shirt dirty. Daddy, help mom out, it gets harder to move from here on out." she giggled.

Enzo leans down and pulls my shirt up, smirking to me as he tucks it underneath my bra, nice and neat.
His fingertips slide over my skin, his touch burning me. I watch his eyes stare into mine and my heart starts beating out of my chest.

"Alright. So now I'm gonna apply some gel to your tummy, and we will get started."

We broke our trance of one another and snapped back into reality.

She squirted the warm gel on my round stomach and began lubricating her wand, gliding it over and around me until I was coated in the stickiness.

I see my baby come onto the screen, making me smile ear to ear.

Hi baby! Mommy loves you!

She begins taking measurements of my baby's feet, legs, head. Clicking away at the machine and saving everything. She doesn't say anything as she works.

"So how does the baby look?" I hear Enzo's deep voice from beside me ask.

"Looks great, dad! I don't see any abnormalities. Measuring at 22 weeks actually.  But that's fine, just means the baby might be bigger."

I smiled up to Enzo and he looked down at me nodding putting his hand on my shoulder.

She clicks away taking pictures of the baby and then she tells us to look closely.

She makes another measurement and saves the picture, this time typing on it.

"IT'S A....GIRL!" She announces and pulls out a pink teddy bear and hands it to us.

"A girl?" My heart felt like it were going to burst I was so immensely happy.

Tears started streaming down my face. Enzo leaned down and kissed my forehead, my cheek, and whispering into my ear "Congratulations, Mommy."

"Alright mom and dad. You're all set. Congratulations on your little girl. I can tell there will be plenty of love. "
She smiled at us as she cleaned my belly off.

"Just keep your regular checkup next month and that's it, from here on it's getting prepared. Nursery, hospital bags. It happens fast. Good luck!" She walked out leaving us in the room alone to get ready.

Enzo helped me up off the table and pulled my shirt back down.

"Erin, you're absolutely beautiful." he smiles at me, pulling me into a hug.

"You're gonna be a wonderful mom."

"Thank you."

"You have no idea how much I'd give to be having that child with you. It's such a beautiful thing and any man not wanting this is the biggest idiot in the world." He looks at me sadly giving me a half smile, and leading me out the room.

We drive home, arriving without a word being said.

He went to get out the truck, and I grabbed his arm, pulling him back down.

He looks over at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Enzo you never gave me a chance to say anything back there. Today is the best day that I've ever had in my entire life. I mean truly the best. Something I'll never forget. My daughter will have so much love, but not from just me. In the past few months I've gotten to know you, you've become one of my best friends. Someone who saved me. Someone I want to be in my life...and my daughter's. I know in this fake life you're her father. But in real life I consider you her father as well. You've stayed with me, you didn't get rid of me, you didn't run from me. It may be a fucked up situation or timing...but if you want, I want you to be her daddy." I look at him and he doesn't say anything for a few seconds. He keeps looking at me.

I gave him a weak smile, nervous of how he'd react.

He said nothing, but he leaned forward and gently kissed me. Placing his hand on my cheek, pulling me closer into his sweet and soft kiss.

He pulled back, with his eyes watering and leaned down and put his hand on my belly and bringing his lips close to it.

"Hi baby girl. This is your daddy. I just wanted you to know something." he gets closer, whispering into my stomach. He places a kiss on it and pulls back up.

" What did you say to her?" I smile so big rubbing my hand through his hair.

"I'll tell you one day."