Part 8

"You killed someone?" I asked.

"He wasn't breathing, Erin. I knew I had one shot to get you out of there. So I didn't give him the chance to try again."

"I don't want to scare you. I promise you, I'm not a killer." 

"Well your name is, Assassin." I said, looking off to the side.

Enzo started laughing and nodding his head.

"Yeah, it is, babe." 

"So you saved my life." I kept looking at him, not breaking eye contact.

"Then why didn't we go straight to the police? You wouldn't have gotten in trouble, hell, you could have even dropped me off. It doesn't explain what were are doing in this remote cabin in the middle of fucking nowhere." 

"Yeah, about that. Erin, the guy who gave Dean the number was a cop."

This keeps getting better and better.

"Great. So what now?"

"Well, I think we are safe here for a few days. Whoever the guy was, he answered to very important people. So they'll try and figure out why you never showed up and when they find the body, who killed him. Dean is probably the first person they'll pay a visit to. If they let him live, they'll probably figure out one way or another that it was me." he sighed.

"I've taken some precautions and covered our tracks, don't worry. I emptied my savings, and grabbed all the cash I stashed at my place. The guys at the gym think I'm going on some boxing tour in Australia. I even grabbed a beer with them yesterday to say goodbye. Nobody will suspect me for a while. I need about two or three days to arrange something, and then we can get out of the state."

"When did you have time to do this?"

"Three days ago, when I was actually intending to go to Australia on a boxing tour."

Hmph.

"I'm so sorry you have been in involved in all of this. I am so grateful for everything you've done, you saved our lives, and I was so mean to you. I can't believe you did this for me, us. Can't you still go to Australia? I mean it isn't too late, right? Don't worry about me, I can figure something out, I don't want you to miss that. You don't even know me."

"I wouldn't have changed anything. I intend to keep you safe. You remind me of someone I used to know. She would have wanted me to do the same thing.  We are in this together now."

He grabbed my hand and squeezed gently.

********
I laid in my bed, thinking about everything that had happened. It seems surreal and I can't help but think how fate had intervened in my life by sending Enzo my way. My savior. My guardian angel. I had to figure out how to thank him. Shit, I had to figure out what we were going to do next.

My mind was racing and I couldn't get to sleep. I decided to get up and get a glass of warm milk. I tip toed into the kitchen not wanting to cut a light on and wake Enzo. I couldn't reach the glasses so I tried to jump up and finally grasped one and it slipped out of my hands onto the floor, glass shattering everywhere.

Well, if its better to have bad luck than none at all?

The light came on and Enzo flew into the kitchen holding a gun.

"What the hell, Enzo?"

"Are you, okay?" he looked around like we were being invaded.

It was kinda cute.

"I dropped a glass, I'm sorry, I was trying to be quiet." I laughed softly.

He clicked the safety button and put the gun down.

"What's with the gun?" I asked as I got the broom and began to clean.

" Better safe than sorry."

True.

"Shit!"

I started sweeping the glass and ended up stepping on a shard of it with my heel.

Lord! I beg of you. Cut me a break.
Please.

"Don't move babe, I got it." Enzo moved off the barstool and crouched down to look at my foot. His left hand grasped my calve, and his right held my foot up looking at the cut.

"Well you don't need stitches or anything. It's gonna suck walking though."

He lifted me up and placed me on the counter. He began to pull the remaining glass pieces out of my foot.

" Hold on lemme grab some gauze."

He ran down the hall and came back with a first aid kit.

"This might tingle some." He sprayed peroxide on my foot and began wrapping it.

The only thing tingling was in between my thighs. What the hell? This is new. I never felt this way before about him. Then again, besides Cali nobody ever treated me with this much care.

He looked up at me, and gave me a half smirk. His eyes tired and puffy. I just thought he probably hasn't gotten a decent night's sleep in a few days.

"All done. Let me carry you to bed."

Yes, please.

"Thank you."

He picked me up and carried me down the hall and gently laid me down on my bed.

"Goodnight Enzo."

"Goodnight."

I intended to make it up to him tomorrow.