Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

I had been in school for almost a week, it was great. My teacher, Miss Dever, said that I was the smartest in her class. We'd gone over the alphabet and gotten a list of vocabulary/spelling words. They were easy, words like 'those', 'two', 'too', and 'to'. It was easy stuff. I always finished my homework after about thirty minutes of being home, then Blue and I would lay around my room and read or watch TV. Sam and Dean left not long after I'd started school, which made me sad. Dean said I could've gone with them if I wasn't in school, but it's not like Blue would ever let me stay that way. We, well I, begged Bobby for a TV in my room. It didn't take him long to cave, I had a stand by the door with the TV on it and a DVD player under it. Blue and I were watching Harry Potter when Bobby walked in, "Time for bed kiddo," he announced. Blue groaned loudly in complaint, but face-planted on the bed nonetheless. I paused the movie where it was before I turned off the TV. Blue rolled over against the wall before I laid down, Bobby tucked me in before Blue and I fell asleep.

Bobby woke me up the next morning with a flick of the light switch. Blue and I both groaned loudly in complaint, the only difference was that I rolled out of bed and Blue shoved his face into the pillow. "Get ready, I'm planning on getting you to school at seven fifteen," Bobby announced before he closed the door behind him. A glance at the clock told me it was six thirty. I grabbed a pair of jeans and a plain green shirt before I made my way to the bathroom to get ready. Blue was up and ready by the time I left the bathroom. Bobby was downstairs pouring milk into a second bowl of cereal, "Eat up, you have ten minutes before we leave. You got all your stuff packed?" I nodded my head as I climbed into the chair and started eating my cereal. Bobby started eating his, Blue hummed a song and went over all the stuff that was on the agenda the school gave me. "So today you have your math homework due, but you've done almost half of the workbook already so done and done. You read the story about the forest animals who could talk, you have a test on that Friday..." Blue went on and on about the rest of the things I'd done this week, I finished my cereal just as Bobby decided it was time to go. Blue waved at me from the porch as Bobby pulled out of the driveway.

I walked inside the school after Bobby dropped me off. We were supposed to head straight to the gym to wait until school started, but my teacher let me in early. She liked to give me papers to see how much I knew or to let me work on some of the things we'd be working on today. "Good morning Christina," Miss Dever greeted as she held the door open for me. "Good morning Miss Dever," I echoed back as I put my backpack on my desk to dig out my things. Miss Dever walked over to her desk and started rifling through a stack of papers. "What do you do after school Christina?" She asked as I hung my backpack on a hook in my locker. I turned to face her before answering, "Blue and I watch movies or read," I told her as I sat down at my desk, picking out my notebook. She pulled a piece of paper out of the stack, "Well, I happen to have a friend who owns a dance studio a few minutes away. Her name is Miss Crystal and she teaches little girls and boys ballet. You should talk to your uncle if you're interested, I think it would be something you'd enjoy," Miss Dever informed as she stood up and put the piece of paper on my desk. It was a white piece of paper with the silhouette of a ballerina. Miss Dever pulled out her laptop and started typing, "These are a few professional ballerinas at a recital," she explained as she clicked on a video. "The studio Miss Crystal runs has practice every Tuesday and Thursday for kids your age," she informed me as I watched the video. It was of a stage full of dancers elegantly leaping back and forth. It looked nice... "I'll ask Uncle Bobby," I decided, putting the paper in my folder. Miss Dever smiled, "I'll tell Miss Crystal to look out for you," she told me before she glanced at her watch. "And it looks like it's about time for class to start," she added as she went over to open the door. It didn't take long for the rest of my classmates to file into their seats. I tucked away the folder into my cubby-hole to be reviewed later.

I was hesitant to get up and head out for recess. I didn't really like recess because it wasn't just my grade outside, it was also second and third grade. The second and third graders didn't like first graders. I sat along the side area of the basketball goals watching all the other kids when I was engulfed in a shadow. "Reading books again? You're such a nerd," I withheld a sigh. Joshua again. I ignored him in favor of the next sentence. "I'm talking to you stupid," he snapped, reaching to slap my book. I leaned back so he missed, "And I'm ignoring you," I snipped back as I continued to read. "I'm telling Miss Hughe!" Josh yelled as he ran off. I refrained from rolling my eyes as I got back to my book. He was a spoiled brat if I'd ever met one. I was halfway through the next page when a larger shadow landed on me. "Miss Singer," a scolding voice said. I looked up from my book, it was Miss Hughe. I was pretty sure she was older than the school, she stared down at me coldly. "Apologize to Joshua," she demanded. I stared up at her, I could see Josh smirking in the background as the bell rang. "No," I told her as I put my bookmark in my book and got up. "Singer," her tone was full of warning as she snapped her fingers and point at the ground in front of her. That was when Miss Dever decided to step in, "What's going on here?" She questioned as she put her hands on my shoulders. "That little brat is bullying little Joshua," Hughe informed her, venom tainted her tone as she looked down at me with distaste. Miss Dever raised an eyebrow, "I find that very hard to believe, especially with Joshua's history of lying and bullying other students." Josh deflated, his smirk falling off his face. I refrained from sending one of my own. Miss Hughe didn't seem to know what to say, "Can we go back to class now Miss Dever?" I asked in an innocent tone. She looked down at me and grabbed my hand, "Yes, I think that we should try to finish up so everyone can play Webkinz," Miss Dever told me with a grin as we headed back inside.

I crawled into the cab of Bobby's truck after school had ended. "How was your day?" Bobby asked as I closed the door. "I'm tired," I informed as he pulled onto the road and started home. "Anything interesting happen?" He questioned, I briefly wondered if Miss Hughe had called him, but I honestly didn't think that the woman could work a toaster. "Well, Miss Dever gave me a paper," I started digging through my backpack to pull out the paper. "For a dance class, she said she thinks I'd like it," I told him as he stopped at a red light, so I handed him the paper. He skimmed over it until the light turned green, "Ballet?" I nodded my head as I took the paper back, "Well, I don't have a problem with it," Bobby decided. I internally fist pumped, "When's the meet-up?" Bobby questioned as we pulled onto the highway. "Every Tuesday and Thursday," I informed, putting away the paper. I'd be attending the practice tomorrow if everything went right. When we got home, Blue was ecstatic and Bobby ensured I would be attending the practice.