Loss

Testing was done with and it was the second to last week of school, for a lot of us this was the last week since no one was taking attendance next week. Miss Dever was standing in front of the class holding Bucky the oppossum in her hand. "Now, I've finally gotten our test results back," Miss Dever said, looking over a small packet of paper. "And I'm pleased to say, that all of you will be moving on to second grade next fall," she said. Everyone was still focused on Bucky though, I don't think any of them expected anything less. "But only one of you scored the highest, out of the entire first grade actually." She put down the packet on the small table behind her, "Christina, out of the entire first grade here at Terry Redlin, you scored the highest above all." Miss Dever took a few steps towards my desk and placed Bucky on top of it, "And Bucky is yours," she finished. The little plastic envelope tag that Bucky'd come with was still there, but now it was a folded up piece of paper. "This paper is the login information," she told me quietly so no one else would hear. She straightened up and went back to the front of the classroom, "Now, what should we do for the remainder of the week? Should we get a head start on second grade, watch movies, read, do some art, play outside, let me hear some suggestions," Miss Dever said as she pulled up a blank screen on the promethean board and picked up the pen for it. Kid's arms started shooting up, "Movies," one said. Miss Dever wrote a small 'Movies' on the board before she turned around to accept another suggestion. "Go outside," another said. Miss Dever wrote 'outside' on the board. This continued until no one raised their hands, so we only had four suggestions on the board. 'Movies', 'Outside', 'Webkinz', and 'Art'. "Okay, since we only have four suggestions and only three days left, how about we do one of these suggestions a day, and then do 'Webkinz' and 'Art' on the same day?" Miss Dever suggested, turning the list into a t-chart. "Now, raise your hand if you want to watch movies today," she started counting before she started drawing lines to the 'Movies' column to keep track of who wanted movies. There ended up being ten, she did the same for the rest of the activities. Three wanted 'Webkinz' today and two wanted to go outside. I didn't raise my hand for any of them, I'd rather ask to go to the library after this to go read. Gannon votes for movies.

The votes ended up being movies today, Webkinz and Art tomorrow, and then we'd stay outside all day for the half day. Miss Dever said that she couldn't let me go sit in the library by myself, but I could go over there and check out a book or two and come back here. I decided that I'd just read one of the books I'd brought.

The week flew by really fast. I was dragging my backpack that was full of my papers and books from the year. It was pretty heavy, but not as heavy as the backpacks of the ones who'd been here all year. Today was also the day I decided to bring Bucky home to show to Uncle Bobby. I think he'd be proud of me. I wanted to tell Sam and Dean about it too, but I hadn't seen them in a while. They hadn't come back with Uncle Bobby after he helped them out with that hunt. I missed them... Uncle Bobby decided to pull in and pick me up as I finished that thought. I got up and half-carried, half-dragged my backpack over to the truck. One of the teachers picked up my bag and helped me put it in the truck. "How's it feel knowing that was your last day?" Uncle Bobby asked as we pulled away from the school. I shrugged and judged the bag with my foot, "Like I'm going to be bored," I answered. Uncle Bobby laughed, "I'm sure we'll find you something to do," he said. I doubted it. "What's that?" Uncle Bobby asked, nodding his head at my bag. Bucky was poking half out of it. I grabbed Bucky and dragged him out to show Uncle Bobby. "Is that a possum?" He asked, I nodded, "His name is Bucky. Miss Dever gave him to me because I got the highest test scores in the school's entire first grade," I informed him. I put Bucky down on my lap, "You day that so nonchalantly. That's really good Chris, I'm proud of you. When we get back, we should call your brothers so that you can tell them," Uncle Bobby said. What did 'nonchalantly' mean?

Uncle Bobby carried my bag into the house when we got home. He put it on the kitchen table for us to go through later, "Do you want to call your brothers now or later tonight?" he asked. I wanted to call them now, but they were probably doing something for whatever case they were on right now. "Can we call them later? At four or five?" I asked Uncle Bobby, who nodded. "Sure, do you want to go through all this stuff now or later?" Uncle Bobby gestured to my backpack. "Let's do it now," I said, Blue chose that moment to wander down the stairs. "It is officially summer Chrissy!" He cheered as he jumped down the last couple stairs. He looked at my backpack that Uncle Bobby was starting to unzip on the semi cleared table. "Ooh I want to see all the things," Blue declared as he sat in an empty chair beside me. Uncle Bobby proceeded to dump all of the papers onto the table before he went into the kitchen to grab a trash can. Blue's eyes landed on Bucky, "You got the highest score?!" He exclaimed, snatching Bucky off of the table. "I got the highest out of the entire first grade," I informed him before Uncle Bobby came back in. "You what?! This is celebration for ice cream and pie. You should ask Uncle Bobby if we can go to the diner," Blue suggested. That didn't sound like a bad idea...