Chapter 10: Amber Orange

(Piper)

Wow, okay. So I don't have a good relationship with Jason in the future, and it's my fault it's that way.

That's when Rachel Dare came running in, and panting. "Guys, there's a way to, uh, gods. I'm tired. We can, how do I put this, we can see what the future's like."

"We just figured out the future," I protested.

"You don't understand," Rachel continued. "We can become our future selves."

A few jaws dropped, including mine. "What do you mean?" Annabeth asked.

"Like," Rachel blew hair out of her face in frustration. "We enter our future self's bodies. It won't be at the same time, and it may not even be very long. But it could be useful. Who's in?"

"Hold up," Leo waved his arms around, like he was trying to stop time or something. "How does this work?"

Rachel smirked. "Come with me."

She led us into her cave, and behind a tapestry of a bunch of the camp members. A whole room full of shifty-looking machines and a chair in the center was presented.

"What the...how...when...?" Percy stuttered.

"I called in some favors," Rachel laughed, "Apollo and Hypnos did some things. Apollo, being the god of prophecies, and Hypnos, wanting to help with dreams and stuff. The dream thing will come later."

"So...we just sit in the chair?" Calypso asked.

Rachel nodded. "Basically. I'm gonna go first, maybe I can learn a thing or two. Watch me. If I start to twitch, take the wires off immediately. I don't know what would happen if you didn't."

We nodded, and before we knew it, she was strapped into the chair.

(Rachel)

I was brought to consciousness by a bright blinding light coming from a window next to me, and it's how I realized I must've just woken up.

A mirror was right in front of my queen-sized bed, and as I sat up, my reflection greeted me. Thirty-something year old me still had frizzy red hair, but it had evolved to auburn. That was weird. My eyes were less emerald green and more jade, and they looked exhausted.

Pictures decorated my walls of me and my friends, and a few people I didn't recognize. None of the pictures looked familiar, except one: the group camp picture from last year. Well, like twenty something years now.

The next thing I noticed was that I wasn't in a cave. That's new. I had an actual room with windows, and it was comfortable. I finally remembered what I was here to do, and jumped out of my bed.

(BTW THIS STORY TAKES PLACE IN 2010 BECAUSE THAT'S WHEN THE BOOKS SUPPOSEDLY TAKE PLACE SOOOO)

A calendar sat proudly above a very messy desk. MARCH 2029. Twelve days were crossed off on the calendar.

So it's March 12th, 2029, which makes me...36? I'm in my 36 year old self's body, how freaky is that? 

Weirdest part of this all: where were my paintings? My prophecies? I usually write those down in my big yellow notebook. Where were they?

I opened the door on the other side of the room, and a small hallway greeted me. I walked down one end to see a kitchen and living room, and on the other side was a bathroom and a guest room. Nothing else besides a closet.

I decided to open said closet, and the shelves had absolutely nothing on them, except one thing: a familiar blue plastic hairbrush.

I laughed under my own breath. "I kept this after all of these years?" I muttered.