Chapter Eight. Sacred & Secrecy

ELIJAH
{The Pact by Slaves}

🖤
You keep your hopes up that I can change
Well, I stay honest, you do the same
I'll keep my purpose, you keep your faith
That we can get through this, these tougher days
🖤

            Elijah fixed the front of his suit jacket and looked down at the events happening below. His hands ever so graciously gripped the railing, watching, enjoying how much fun Arabella was having with his sister.
He leaned forward on the railing and began to watch Arabella and Rebekah smiling and laughing while their hands scanned over a variety of dresses. Tailors that had been compelled by Rebekah to walk around the compound holding them up, looking desperate to be set free. It would have been a lot easier for her and her sister-in-law to view them for the gala that evening if they had just done it themselves, but leave it to Rebekah to want to have the whole spiel of feeling extravagant, getting ready for the big night.
Only a moment after, did he decide he wanted to be closer to her. He sped down the stairs and sat on the closest bench, resting his left elbow on his knee, leaning forward just a bit before he mindlessly rubbed his index and middle finger against his thumb lightly.
Arabella continued to converse with his sister without missing a beat, and a short moment later she could feel Elijah staring so she turned her head and looked down at him. To her, Elijah could have been carved from marble for how godly he looked to her. It had been the only reason she stared for as long as she did.
    It was obvious how happy Elijah made her too, and Niklaus could see it as plain as day. It infuriated him to no end. All in all, Niklaus was jealous of their relationship and it would make him all the happier if Arabella just disappeared. Though, the second time around would have been a little hard to do since she was always on the defensive of making sure it wouldn't ever happen again.
In the back of Niklaus' mind, he felt there were other reasons why he hated her so much. Was it the fact that she distracted Elijah long enough that he no longer had time to dwell on Niklaus' evil schemes, or was it the fact he felt Arabella was trying to play with his emotions? Impossible, Arabella didn't give Niklaus a second thought, what and who she was focused on was the gala and Elijah.
Well, Niklaus was in no mood for her mind games, and he definitely wasn't in any mood to go to the gala that evening. So when Niklaus caught Elijah and Arabella's moment together, he pushed his glass of bourbon up to his lips and threw his head back with it, and gulped down what was left. He didn't even flinch at the burning in his throat.
He didn't want to admit it to himself, but he was feeling odd towards her as if he sort of had some estranged feelings for her, but that would have baffled even him. He told himself over and over again he never loved her, he never had a crush on her of any type but everyone else around him could tell that was a lie. Why act the way he did, if he didn't? He took the bottle of bourbon and walked his way toward the gates. He had to get away from her before he did something stupid. Like, open his mouth.
He would have noticed Hayley storm past with Davina Claire in tow if he wasn't sulking with his head down. When he caught their scents, however, his head spun around faster than his body, and he was trying to figure out why the little witch was there with Little Wolf- the nickname Niklaus had for Hayley- when she was set out to kill Niklaus because of all the wrong he had done to her. Arabella didn't know the story behind that but she knew it served him right.
Arabella's head snapped around so she was eyeing Hayley and the stranger that pursed her lips and arched her eyebrows in her direction. Rebekah rolled her eyes as she shooed the tailors away, annoyed that their bonding time came to a halt.
"What is it you want?" Rebekah asked, crossing her arms over her chest. She stood next to Arabella, which made them look somewhat like sisters with the way they dressed; the only difference was the hair color. Elijah stood there in silence because he knew it would be in his best interest to let Arabella handle it on her own because, after all, she was well-adjusted to handling things just fine all by herself. But he did remain alert just in case Davina was to try something. Not that it would take her far, Davina may have been strong, but nothing affected Arabella.
"We're not here for you Rebekah," Hayley snapped as she curved past her and walked straight for Arabella. Making sure to stop at a safe distance because of her reputation. Davina had no idea what she was getting herself into just by the expression on her face. She saw Arabella as tiny, let alone a threat. "Here I thought you were looking out for the well-being of my daughter; playing 'save the baby' but you're just as big a monster as Klaus."
"Ouch," Niklaus deadpanned. He didn't bother to at least pretend he was offended. The alcohol was numbing his emotions. Not that it could do it in the first place. Arabella turned to him since she thought he'd left during his many tantrums, so all in all she was actually surprised he decided to stick around a little longer.
"Elaborate, hybrid." Arabella wanted to get straight to the point, not that she really cared about Hayley's and Davina's opinions. She still wondered about what she did, and how it somehow involved a literal child. Nothing came to Arabella's mind. She blinked and fixated her eyes from Hayley to Davina as a wicked smirk appeared on her lips. One like a predator would look at its prey. Davina felt uncomfortable but she stood her ground, she learned to not let her guard down around anyone anymore. Arabella knew nothing of that as well and was sure to be mindful of never caring to know the reason why. Not everything needed her interest.
"Your precious Queen has been killing vampires late at night all around the French Quarter," Hayley announced, she looked around as if almost proud that she found the news out before anyone else. The small, dysfunctional circle that had formed, fell dead silent. They sensed that someone already knew that. And it wasn't Elijah.
Elijah turned at Arabella, but her focus was on Hayley. Rebekah couldn't believe what she was hearing. And as for Niklaus, he knew just what she was capable of, so none of that was news to him.
"And you know this, how?" Arabella smiled after she sucked on her teeth, the same ones where one of her canines would grow out of. Anyone could tell Arabella wasn't denying it, but the news was better when she admitted to it. Just to avoid speculation.
"Heads were snapped, hearts were missing. And your scent was all over the warehouse they were found in." Hayley declared boldly before she took a stance, and Davina joined her. Arabella tilted her head to the side as she took another short moment of staring at the little Claire girl again. Her eyes were locked on her but not for the reason anyone would think.
"Do you get you're starting a war that can obviously be avoided?" Hayley mentioned. But Arabella ignored her completely, her eyes were still fixated on Davina.
"Do you have something to add?" Arabella asked and her head lowered playfully to meet her line of eye contact. Her eyes flashed orange, and Davina blinked hard before turning up to eye Hayley, wondering what the hybrid had gotten her into.
"I'm here to put you in your place," she smirked, then she raised her hand, just like Freya had done previously. But Davina began to ball her hand into a fist as if she was setting a goal of crushing something. Arabella's face began to look bored before letting her head fall lazily to the right, watching Davina's hand before setting her eyes on her to inform her that what she thought would work, was not working.
Because nothing happened. And Davina looked at her hand and then at Arabella, clearly wondering if she was doing the spell right. She had to of, she had performed it with exceptional execution every time. Something was bound to work, just not on Arabella.
Arabella somehow knew of this though, and that was why she had an almost evil smirk on her lips once Davina realized she was technically untouchable with magic. In Davina's book, that was a huge problem. Arabella knew if her own sister-in-law couldn't use her magic on her, then neither can anyone else. And Freya was pretty damn strong. She would only make that known after the fact, to embarrass them in a way. It was necessary. Why use magic at all when Arabella looked as helpless as she did? Keyword: looked.
"Are you finished?" Arabella asked. She found the whole confrontation to be a joke. She chuckled lightly, but Elijah wasn't amused. He really wanted to know what Arabella had been up to, and he was praying silently it wasn't true. That would be hard to face if she had gone against him and he didn't want to have a reason to not trust the woman he loved. He wouldn't love her any less, he would just be disappointed to know that was something to keep from him after he asked her to keep a low profile.
"Now," she stepped around Elijah, and he watched her. Arabella distracted the woman and the girl with her short strides. Stalking her way towards the two so-called tattletales with a light chuckle escaping her throat. "If you must know, I did kill all those vampires. But with good reason."
She then walked around them and stopped in front of one of the tables with various fruits and plucked a grape off its vine, then popped it into her mouth.
"And what reason would that be?" Hayley bantered.
"Do you not listen to this city, little wolf? This town is crawling with vampires who are bound and set out to kill my niece, your daughter! There's talk everywhere, they want your tri-brid, dead. So, all in all, I was just taking care of the problem. You're welcome." Arabella shrugged a shoulder as another grape went into her mouth. She distracted herself long enough to savor its succulent taste as her eyes closed for a moment. It was short-lived and her eyelids shot open when the girl started her unnecessary yelling.
"By killing them?! And what did that solve!" Davina shouted.
"I'm sorry, little witch, but do you see anyone else coming in here trying to kill that little girl?! No? You are so welcome. Again. Now, every vampire in this city won't think twice about coming near that precious baby because they all fear me. Problem solved. " Arabella snapped. And it was rare when she did.
Elijah was still upset about the fact she didn't listen to him about going out at night, and she did it anyway. But that was a discussion for another time. Right then and there he wasn't sure how he felt about his wife killing vampires, when he was in fact, a vampire. She could kill him if she really wanted to.
"You know what I find funny about this, Elijah? You stand there and you judge Klaus for being who he is, and you try your damnedest to change him." Hayley explained, her voice getting louder just as her finger went up, blaming him for no reason whatsoever. Arabella wasn't adjusted to the new day and age. Niklaus had a thousand years to get his act together and still hadn't. Elijah knew what he was doing. He had always been aware of his brother's actions, he was just getting started on his wife's.
But it wasn't Elijah's fight to engage in. And so, he remained silent and let Hayley speak with no interest in responding to her.
"And look, you obviously have a bigger problem, right here in front of you!" Davina announced. And as easy as a breath, Arabella was in her face about to wrap her hand around her throat, when she stopped mid-grab. She didn't like how they were talking to her husband, but something else caught her off guard.
Davina was scared for her life as Arabella inhaled and then grabbed her by the front of her shirt. Her eyes widened with both curiosity and rage. "WHERE. IS. HE?"
Confused, Davina had no clue who she was talking about. Or she did, she just didn't want to reveal it in front of the Mikaelson siblings.
"Who?!" Davina gasped as Arabella's hand tightened.
"Kol, where is Kol?!"