Chapter Forty•Five. Safe & Sound

ELIJAH
{Falling by Harry Styles}

🖤
You said you care, and you missed me too
And I'm well aware I write too many songs about you. And the coffee's out at the Beachwood Cafe
And it kills me 'cause I know we've ran out of things we can say. What am I now? What am I now?
What if I'm someone I don't want around?
🖤

try as you may
I cannot find a way
to unlove
you

She was quiet for a long time after her bath, so quiet she hadn't even realized she fell asleep. Half of the night she thought she was cuddled up next to him, holding his hand, watching as their fingers sensually touched one another. She would have thought their moments were real until she woke up and stared at the ceiling. Once she turned her head slowly to see if Elijah was next to her, he wasn't. That meant that what she felt, wasn't real and that it was all apart of a dream she was having. A deep sigh came out of her mouth, and then she sat up so she could go and get dressed. She didn't have her phone or a clock for that matter in the room so she didn't know if she slept in. She had no idea what time it was.

She walked out of the room and made her way down the stairs, wondering who she was going to see first, she heard voices but her head was still a little messed up so she couldn't really tell who was who. She hoped it was Vera and Rebekah because Arabella was wanting to be around her sisters.

Elijah was at the sink, putting something away when he turned to the doorway because he could hear her enter. To him, she didn't look like she had been through anything drastic, but she did look slightly annoyed. She wouldn't know the reason behind it, but it surely was written all over her face.

"Morning." He greeted her casually, being sure to give her the space he knew she was going to want.

"How are you feeling?" Vera came around the table with her coffee cup, offering it to her sister but Arabella just stuck her hand up to stop her, telling her without words that it wasn't necessary to treat her like some victim. She was anything but.

"I'm fine," Arabella looked around the kitchen and didn't see anyone else. It was clear Vera was keeping herself busy with her laptop and cellphone, but what was Elijah doing? Just waiting for her to wake up? "Where's Niklaus? Where's Kol?"

"They had other engagements," Elijah answered without guilt, but Arabella couldn't help but look at him like he was guilty. She didn't know what was coming over her and why she would think Elijah would do anything to be alone with Vera, but Vera didn't even like Elijah. She barely tolerated him, let alone wanting to seduce him. The look on Arabella's face indicated exactly what Vera was thinking about, she didn't say anything to her about it though, she just made her way back around to her laptop, grabbed the paper she wrote on, then walked back to Arabella and handed it to her.

"Derek called, he said there's an emergency and he needs your help. Also, your assistant called to say that your client came to pick up her dress and paid the remaining balance in full." Arabella didn't meet her sister's eye while she read the small piece of paper. She read the handwriting and then looked up and sighed deeply. She removed her hair from around her shoulders and then lowered her hand. She paid no attention to Elijah who was wondering why Derek would be calling her.

"I have to go speak with Hayley and then I'll be on my way back home. Thanks." Arabella balled the paper up and tossed it onto the island. She didn't look at either of them, she was prepared to not say anything, but Elijah stopped her before she could leave the kitchen. Vera was still processing what was going on with her little sister and why she was acting a little off. Even if she did suspect it.