-----CHAPTER FIFTEEN-----

"Samaria . . ." I said as I tried to recognize her.

"What's up?" she held up a peace sign.

"You won't believe what she tried to do" Said Denise whispering.

"What?" Rosana said as she stepped forward, interested enough to hear the story.

" She tried blending in with the folks out there, so she made me cut her hair to shoulder length, actually wears sunglasses no matter what time of the day was, asked a fricken gobbler if they had any idea where was Mrs Coulter, so instead he tries to take us away and everything!" Denise said as she got Samaria up her feet.

"We need to tell Mrs Coulter that you found us!" said Alexina excitedly.

"No, she is bad news, man! We were told that she was not to be trusted" said Samaria sounding very different. 

As if on Que, there came a scream downstairs. Denise and Samaria bolted out of our rooms and we followed behind, they both flew down the stairs as if it was nothing, they both turned a corner, by the time we were downstairs, we saw horror. Mrs Coulter's daemon was doing a choke hold on Pan while pinching and twisting his ears. Pan was yelping for Lyra and Mrs Coulter, on the other hand, was holding Lyra by the wrist. But what the two girls down was a pretty bold move. Denise ran towards the two daemon's fighting and Samaria's plan was stupider. She decided to give Mrs Coulter a heart attack by jumping in front of her and saying boo.

However, Denise was successful by separating the two daemons without hurting ANYBODY. She was cradling Pan in her arms like a child while holding back the golden monkey. Denise stood up and cautiously walked up to Samaria, Mrs Coulter and Lyra. 

"I thought violence will not be tolerated in this very house?" she said gently as she gave Pan back to Lyra who ran to Rosana and Alexina hiding behind the stair railings. Mrs Coulter was giving Denise a dangerous look. A look which none of the girls here liked. "Samaria, you were supposed to stop them hurting one another, not scaring one half to death!" Denise snapped at Samaria who crossed her arms and left the room. Denise slowly gave Mrs Coulter's monkey back. Although no one dared to say anything. 

"Denise!" I whispered and gestured her to come over here. She obeyed and we all ran up to our rooms, afraid from what we just witness. 

"See what I mean! Just bad news! and not to be trusted!" Samaria whispered in a harsh matter.

"I hate her!" Lyra had finally spoken out.

"I hate them! and look! He's spying on us!" said Pan as he leapt onto Lyra's bed. Lyra got her leather bag, place the golden compass under her pillow and threw the bag at her door, making the golden monkey run.

"What do they want with me and Pan? Why are we here!" Lyra wiped away a leaking tear as Rosana went to comfort her. "Did any of you seen her daemon? He went all sharp when Lyra mentioned about dust! and what on earth is she keeping in that room? Let's find out!" said Pan.

~Denise's POV~

"Pan this isn't like you!" Secundus had finally spoken out. She hasn't said a word ever since she was battling with her own traumatic experience from escaping that massive avalanche.

"Okay, Samaria, Bronious, Alexina, Warren, Pan and I, we will scout Mrs Coulter's office, Rosana, Romilious, Denise, Secundus, Emeline and Kayden, you guys will be on the lookout. . . You know, warn us if she's coming!" Lyra whispered.

I changed into a finch and stayed perch on Emeline's shoulder. 

"I'll check if the coast is clear if you need me to," I said to Emeline.

Samaria unlocked the door and we all crept to the railings, no one wants to go down the stairs in case Mrs Coulter was downstairs in the living room. Emeline looked at me and gave a slight nod of approval. I leapt off her shoulder and quickly glided downwards and into the living room, No one was there, not even the servants. I quickly flew back up and stayed perched on Emeline's shoulder. "Clear" I whispered. Emeline gave a thumbs up to the others. We all went downstairs quietly. The three girls entered to what it seems to be Mrs Coulter's office. Rosana stood next to the office's door. Emeline stood next to the staircase and I was still on her shoulder. We had to look around and listen very carefully of any movement. 

I leapt off Emeline's shoulder and flew directly to the window. Mrs Coulter was outside. Taking a breather. I morphed into a hummingbird, and I zoomed right back to Emeline. Now I can fly in one spot without having to move anywhere! "She's outside! Taking a breather perhaps?" I said. "Keep an eye on her, will you?" she whispered back.

"Will do!" I zoomed to the window to find she wasn't there, but I did catch a glimpse of a golden sparkle just a few meters away from the door. "HIDE!" I managed to squeak out, I rushed to the side of the curtains, Emeline and Rosana ran into the office.

Everything went quiet until the click from the front door sounded off. I heard feet going up the wooden stairs, silent as ever. Then her voice called out, "Girls! Where are you! Rosana, Alexina, Emeline, Samaria, and Denise?" 

The five girls evacuated quickly and quietly to the stairs, I flew behind Emeline and morphed to human. We all casually 'Fake' chattering to each other and walk with one another. Mrs Coulter attempted to call out for us again, but during mid-sentence, she stopped to see us. We stopped our chatter and we stopped walking because we didn't want to go near this woman!

"Girls," she said with a smile. "What have you all been going?" She asked.

"We all were just chatting while walking around, you know . . . Taking a breather from everything that previously happened" said Samaria as she crossed her arms.