-----CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR-----

<<Lyra's POV>>

I felt bad for Lorek. He told us that his armour was taken away from him, he was an exile, lost in single combat, got sent away. When Alexina left, Rosana went after her. Lorek felt bad for his daughter that she had to go through hell to only find safety. 

"Come, child," said Fadar Coram.

"But Fadar Coram-" 

"We can't involve ourselves, plus we gotta check if Alexina is alright" he did have a point.

"Okay, I'll meet you there in a jiffy, I just gotta go talk to Scoresby for a minute" I lied. Fadar Coram nodded and went off. I opened my bag to grab my compass. I looked around to see if anyone was watching me. I held the compass close to my chest and fiddled with the little twisting knob, which I control the three needles.

I placed one on the Alpha and Omega symbol which might mean combat, Lorek did mention that he lost in single combat with another bear.

I placed the second needle on the griffin which might mean treasure, perhaps the treasure was a prize if a bear wins, they stay, losers will have to go.

Finally, I placed the last needle on the helmet, which obviously means armour.

What happened to Iorek Byrnison? 

My vision zoomed in to see the following;

I saw Iorek, sitting on the silver throne, " He was prince"

Then a different bear came in view, roaring, wearing a spiky helmet, " He would of been a king if the other bear hadn't defeated him."

The Magisterium M symbol appears.

A building that I saw on the way here comes into view, the District Office of the magisterium " He lost everything"

Then there was Iorek, standing with a bucket of whisky, drinking away his pain.

"Oh, Pan! It really hurt him!"

I came back into reality, I closed the compass, slipped it back into my leather bag, I slowly turned around, thinking . . 

Wait . . .

I know where his armour is, and if I tell him, he'll definitely reconsider about being employed. I turned around, "Iorek Byrnison?" he didn't reply. His back was turned, melting metal at his oven that's on fire. "Iorek Byrnison" He still didn't reply. . . 

"Be careful! " Pan whispered.

Ok then, let's try this. I thought to myself

"I know where your armour is!" I blurted out.

He stops working, turns around slowly and looks at me.

"They've tricked you out of it, They shouldn't have done that, Iorek Byrnison"

He falls onto his four legs, walk straight up to me, "It's in the District Office of the Magisterium, right here, in Trollesund"

He growls as he looks beside me . . .Which was air, I heard Pan meowed in fear. I could feel the feeling stirring in my gut.

"What is your name, Child?" he says calmly.

"Lyra Belacqua?"

"Then . . . Lyra Belacqua, I owe you a dept. I will serve you in your campaign until I am dead, or you have a victory"

I smiled, he hauls himself back before he releases his running strength. Pan and I jumped out of the way, not messing up his charge. We ran after him through the mess of metal parts. He ran out of the corner accidentally bumped into a water barrel, and out into the village, the town's people screamed to see his angry appearance. As he urges forward, everyone cleared a path as they screamed. Obviously, I went running after him, everyone must think I was going to kill him, judging by the way we run. 

By the time I got to the District Office, it was surrounded by guards, pointing their gun at the building, at the smashed door that is now a large splinter from bits and pieces. The guard yelled out a language to his men, they suddenly became stiff, not even moving in their thick dark green uniforms. 

It went terribly silent.