Chapter 2

Perrie

It's close to 11 right now and Louis finally went to bed around an hour ago. As always, Harry was out right after we finished our film, but Louis felt the need to complain and beg to stay up later. After Zayn threatened to take away the WiFi, like we would ever do that to ourselves, he finally went to bed. I was sitting on the couch with Zayn while we talked about what we are planning on doing.

"So, Elizabeth said the little boy we are fostering is 7 and he doesn't have the best past. She mentioned abuse but I'm not really sure about everything because she was kind of rushed to get back to him. Apparently something happened at his last foster home that was pretty serious, but I'm not sure what. She did say she would explain everything when she got here though." Zayn said while the TV played quietly in the background.

"Well, when we got Louis, he came from a bad home too and he wasn't the happiest to be with us either. Remember? His first night he tried to run away. I just hope this little boy won't have as bad of trust issues as Louis had." I say as I cuddled more into Zayn's side. We already fixed up the guest bedroom and we still have dinner sitting on the stove just in case he's hungry. It's really late too so I hope everything goes okay and fast because Zayn needs to be up early in the morning to take Harry to school then Louis to the dentist.

"Yeah, he was just really scared. Harry on the other hand was the sweetest little boy. He came straight up to us and hugged us both, saying we reminded him of his parents. I hate that he had to go through what he did at such a young age but I'm so happy that we have him as our son now."

"Me too, we got really lucky when it came to our kids, let's just hope we can save the next little one that walks through that door also." I say just as we hear a knock on the door.

We both get up and head over to the door. Zayn opens it and There stands Elizabeth with a small smile on her face. Next to her stood a boy that looked to be no older than 3 or 4, but maybe he could pass as 5. Maybe Zayn got the age wrong. Even when Louis came to live with us he still looked his age, if not a little but skinny. But this little boy, he was short, skinny, and his face looked like he couldn't have been older than 5. He had what looked to be a black garbage bad in his right hand while his other hand was held in a cast. The poor thing looked terrified, but he was already starting to build up that brave face that Louis always wore before he trusted us. His eyes were flickering everywhere but our faces, probably trying to find the fastest escape rout just in case he needed to run. It broke my heart but I knew I couldn't show, not yet anyways.

"Hello Zayn, Perrie. This is Niall and he will be staying with you for a while. I have quite a bit that I would like to talk to you about so do you mind if we do that now? I don't want to keep him up any later than possible, I'm not sure when the last time he slept was." She said while looking down at the boy, who was now staring at Zayn skeptically.

"Yes! Sure, right this way." Zayn says immediately. Elizabeth follows after Zayn, leaving the scared little boy by the door.

"Hi, Niall. I'm Perrie and that was my husband Zayn. We're so happy that your staying with us. Are you hungry? We have some left overs from dinner if you are." I say, trying to make the boy more comfortable. Though, I don't think it worked because all I got in return was the small boy just looking at me then looking away towards the ground as if I would hurt him if we made eye contact.

After not getting a response and just standing here for a minute or so I decided to just lead him into the family room. I held out my hand but as soon as I made that move he flinched back. Trust is going to take some time but hopefully I can make a break through soon.

"It's okay, I was just going to take you into the family room. Do you want to go to the family room?" I asked him with my hands up in surrender, showing that my intentions aren't bad. I was now crouching at his height so I didn't seem too scary or powerful compared to him.