Past and Future

Flashback....

"Rue! I told you to help the boys with their home work! This is the 5th time you haven't done that you want them to flunk!?" Jason yelled at Rue. Rue walked calmly back in her room and shrugged her shoulders. She had enough it was her freshman year she fended for herself In school

"That's not my problem it's theirs, they wanna party and focus on football."Rue kept walking and talking.

"Like you have anything better to do." Darren said cutting in.

"Shut up Darren at least I'm passing dumbo." Rue retorted back.

"Hey! Don't yell at him you need to help them!"

"They have never help me with anything I'm good."Rue stopped and faced her father.

"Rue there are more important things."

"What like your disappointing pride of having me." Rue looked up into her father's eyes. It was shock and a new found anger.

"You little ease dropper!"

"I try to talk to you and come to you but you don't care! I heard you talk with mom about much I'm a disappointment."

"Well at least you know how to keep your mouth shut."

"I can't not believe you right now! Why can't they pay a nerd to help them like they been doing?!"

"It needs to stay in the family."

"I not apart of it to them, so I'm not going to help them." Rue stood her ground against her fathers. Her brothers in the door way and her mother looking terrified for her but didn't step in.

"What's wrong Rue? Are you just mad cause they can do more things than you or is it that your not good enough to feel apart of the family?"Jason said in a mocking tone.

"Lay off it alright!"Rue yelled. Then felt a slap across her face she landed on her dresser breaking it. She felt one kick to her leg. Then there was a pause her mother standing with her father yelling and her brother laughing.

"What is wrong with you Jason! She could be seriously hurt. You know this counts as child abuse?" her mother looked down on her. Rue just looked up with no tears but blood on her lip she spit it out.

"That all you got? You slap like a girl." Rue said looking at him boldly. Jason stood in shock and so did her mother. The boys stop laughing looking at their sister differently they though she was a weakling but not any more. She took that hit like a man.

"Rue I-" Jason started to say. He knew what he just did but didn't mean to do it. He didn't like the side he was seeing of Rue. Rue stood looking at him waiting for him to say another thing.

"Maybe we should just leave." Her mother guided her father out the room. Jason looked a the blood on his hands. He didn't mean too it just happen.

"Dad that was awesome!"Darren told him at the dinner table.

"You showed her!"Devin said.

"No it wasn't awesome and I didn't show her up. That was not cool never hit women. The fact that you think it's cool is disappointing." Jason told them. He looked at the dried up blood on his hand.

"You need to apologize Hun, I know you and her have never had a father and daughter relationship but you ruined the chance of ever having one." his wife told him.

"She going to have to apologize first."Jason walked to Rue's room. She was sleep lights were off. He just sighed and walked the room.

"I'm sorry." Was all Jason said. Too bad that wasn't Rue. Rue was on the roof of the house sitting and playing her guitar singing her song. She put her pillows is a body form and climbed up to the roof. Rue had a swollen lip a black eye and a bruise. But the slap felt like nothing to her. She was used to being pushed around in high school. But now is the time she has to fight back.