If it's not you, then better if not

Jinyoung and Daehwi are childhood bestfriends ever since. They met when they're 7, while Daehwi is 6. Then, after a year they got married. Nah, just kidding. 

 December 15,2018 - They are celebrating their 11th year anniversary. They have this so called ritual - not really, but some sort of agreement that they will make time for each other even if they were really busy so they can celebrate this day, together. 

 Because, sadly, last last last last year Daehwi came home to Los Angeles for Christmas so they just video call or face timed each other all day long until Daehwi comes back to Korea. Jinyoung feels all giddy about the thought of Daehwi coming back so he made some surprise for a late celebration of their 7th year anniversary.

 Daehwi that time, almost cursed at Jinyoung for not waiting for him at the airport. Daehwi was preparing for a big bear hug as soon as he got out of the airport but he was welcomed by thin, cold air as it was currently winter in Korea that time. He was sulking all the way back to their home and he is covered by an unknown aura that time that even his mom can't talk to him. As soon as they got home, he didn't even bother to visit Jinyoung's house which is just their neighbor. He directly went to his room with his luggage not even glancing or saying goodnight to his mom. 

 "WELCOME BACK DAEHWI-YA!" Jinyoung's voice roams around the whole house as Daehwi lits up the light on his room. 

 "H-hyung, why are y-you here? W-what is this?" Daehwi asks almost teary-eyed as he can't do anything with the emotion he's feeling.

 "Aigoo - you little baby. Stop crying, will you? I know you misses me and I miss you too," Jinyoung pulls Daehwi for a hug that makes Daehwi let out the sobs he is dying to keep. 

 "I'm really sorry, Hwi. I know you've been waiting for me and you didn't saw me in the airport. I'm just really busy preparing for this, and I hope you like it," Jinyoung warily glances at Daehwi, expecting that the boy loves his surprise. "No, I don't. Go back to your house, hyung. I'm tired and I really want to rest," Daehwi realizes that Jinyoung still made a mistake, goes back to sulking. 

 "Aigoo, you think I'd believe that?" 

 "If you dont want, then dont. I'd really appreciate if you leave now, hyung. You can just go and I'll just clean this tomorrow," Daehwi looks at Jinyoung's eyes with no emotions at all. And that's when Jinyoung knew he messed up, big time. 

 "Hwi, I'm really sorry. I know I do wrong especially because I didn't told you my whereabouts and what is the reason why I can't fetch you at the airport. I'm really sorry, hwi," Jinyoung pulls Daehwi's arm and engulfing the boy with a hug, because it feels like if he'll let go, he will lost Daehwi forever. 

 Daehwi has been waiting for Jinyoung for almost 3 hours now. Jinyoung said he'll STOP by at Daehwi's house at 5 in the afternoon. Because he has so many things to do, so he'll just stop by to blow their cake and greet Daehwi. But, it's already 8 in the evening, and Daehwi can't see even Jinyoung's shadows.

 Daehwi: 

 Jinyoung-hyung, where are you?

 Sent at 5:30 PM

Jinyoung-hyung, you're already 37 minutes late. Did something happened??? Please text back :((( 

 Sent at 5:37 PM

 Hyung, I'm getting really worried here. Please, tell me if you can't go and tell me about your whereabouts so atleast I could feel at ease :<<< 

 Sent at 5:38 PM 

 I asked your mom about you, but even she didn't know and even told me that she thought you were with me? 

 Sent at 5:39 PM 

 Hyung, where are you? Really? 

 Sent at 6:24 PM

 Hyung, it's getting late. And the candle has already melted and it also ruined the cake. 

 Sent at 6:25 PM 

 Hyung, I know I dont have the right to get angry because I know you're busy. But, where the fuck are you? 

 Sent at 7:08 PM 

 Hyung, I already finished 2 episodes of Love by Chance and you're still nowhere to be found. What the actual fuck, hyung?! 

 Sent at 7:43 PM

Okay, hyung. That's it. I know I already bothered you that's why I'm sorry. I know you didn't mean to stood me up just like this because you really are busy. I'm sorry hyung. I should've known better.

 Sent at 8:03 PM 

 Looks like, I'll just eat the cake all by myself then. Enjoy, hyung. I know I shouldn't get angry but I can't help it. Bye,hyung. Sorry for being a disturbance. 

  Sent at 8:05 PM

 Daehwi can't help but cry because he feels so betrayed and he can't help but cry more when he saw Jinyoung's reply. 

 Jinyoung:

 Hwi-yah. I'm really sorry for not coming to our celebration. But things are really getting hectic here and our prof is getting angry at me, and Jihoon-hyung is also getting jealous at you. 

 I want to make it up to you but I don't know how and when. I'm really sorry, Hwi. Btw, happy 11th anniversary. Thank you for coming into my life and become as my bestfriend for years.

 Btw, Hwi. Eat your dinner. I need to go coz Jihoon hyung is already sulking and he is really hungry like very hungry. You know how he changes when he is hungry. So i need to go, ttyl :)))) 

Daehwi didn't bother to make a reply because he knows he'll never got a reply anyways. Daehwi understands it all, Jinyoung has Jihoon. His boyfriend for almost 2 years. The two has met, way back 2015 and eventually turn to lovers from friends. 

Daehwi understands it all, because he was there. He was there at every occasion the two celebrates. Daehwi was there when Jinyoung makes a surprise for Jihoon because he's finally asking him to be his. Daehwi was there when Jinyoung asks him for help for their 100th day date. Daehwi was there when the two celebrate their 1st year together. Daehwi was there when Jinyoung surprises Jihoon, again, for New Year. 

 Daehwi saw it all. Daehwi saw how Jinyoung's life changed when he met Jihoon. He saw how Jinyoung's almost colorless world turn into a very colorful one when the boy met the love of his life. Daehwi saw how Jinyoung changed from his deepdark image to a cheerful one just because of Jihoon. He was glad, his bestfriend finally found someone he deserves.

But, can't it be him? Can't Daehwi be the reason why Jinyoung is making efforts? Can't Daehwi be the one Jinyoung surprises ? Can't Daehwi be the main reason why Jinyoung changed for the better? Can't Daehwi be the reason why Jinyoung's world become colorful? Can't Daehwi be the main reason why Jinyoung is happy? Can't he be the reason why Jinyoung is living his life to the fullest?

Daehwi can't help but think about many what if's. What if he realized his feelings first and confessed first? Then, could it be him and Jinyoung that is dating now? Daehwi feels so much regret but he knows  it's not worth it. He's satisfied with what they have right now, because some feelings are better left unsaid.