four: Lovers

Raman & Ishita

It was after 3.00am. Raman waited outside the Iyer apartment while Mihika tried her keys in the door.

"Jiju, yeh Shagun kaise Ashok se Shaadi karna chahti hai? When she knows that he doesn't want to marry her, that he doesn't love her. Usko koi self respect nahi hai, Jiju, how can she?"
(Jiju, how can Shagun still want to marry Ashok? When she knows that he doesn't want to marry her, that he doesn't love her. Doesn't she have any self respect, Jiju, how can she?)

Raman smiled wryly and shook his head, just as the keys finally connected and the door to the Iyer apartment swung open. He reached over and switched on a light, then waited until Mihika had stepped inside, before speaking.

"Shagun aisi hi hai Mihika, uske liye fikr karna bekaar hai. Ab is sab ke bare mein mat socho aur so jao. Ishita mera intezaar kar rahi hogi. Goodnight."
(That's what Shagun is like Mihika, there's no point worrying about her. Now don't think about all this and go to bed. Ishita must be waiting for me. Goodnight.)

He waited until the door had shut firmly before opening the door to his own apartment. He stepped into his darkened apartment and locking the door, waited for his eyes to adjust to the darkness before slotting his keys into the key holder and hurrying up the stairs.

The door to Ishita and his bedroom was slightly ajar and a soft glow from the bedside lamp was visible. All other rooms were in darkness and there was a pin drop silence in the sultry early morning calm.

Raman slowly pushed the door open then stood transfixed at the sight that greeted him.

Ishita was sitting on their bed, leaning against the headboard and a mound of pillows. Her eyes were closed and her hands crossed in her lap, her engagement ring glittering against the deep red of her kurta, her legs encased in black tights stretched out in front of her. She still had that special glow from earlier that evening, the glow that he had put on her face. Even in sleep, her beautiful lips were curved in a slight smile, and her coal black lashes against her glowing cheeks, the messy strands of hair framing her face, all combined to make her look the most beautiful sight he had ever seen.

He stood for a long moment in the doorway just looking at her, his thirsty eyes finally sated by the sight of her, but a hunger starting to grow anew in his loins. She was just so beautiful, and she was his.

His lips curved into a soft smile as he walked into the room closing and locking the door softly behind him. His night clothes had been set out on the sofa, but he saw with satisfaction that there was no duvet on it. The sofa was going to be used only for sitting now, now that his wife had accepted her place in his bed. Now there would be no more distances between them.

He sat on the sofa to take off his shoes, his eyes never leaving her face as he shrugged off his jacket and shirt. Standing up, he eased out of his trousers, his eyes caressing her face one last time before he made his way into the ensuite bathroom.

*************************************
Ishita woke up with a start. She moved her legs gingerly, then swung them over the side of the bed as she stifled a yawn with her hand.

"What is the time?" she wondered, looking over to the bedside clock. "3.30am? Raman abhi tak..." (Raman still hasn't...)

Her thoughts were arrested by muted sounds of running water coming from the ensuite bathroom. She stood up slowly and was greeted by the sight of Raman's shoes and clothes scattered on and by the sofa.

Her heart started to beat faster. Raman. He was home. She walked rapidly towards the bathroom and then stopped shyly.

"What are you doing, Ishita" she chided herself. "You can't barge into the bathroom. Abhi aayega woh bahaar, fir baat karlena usse." ( He will come out soon enough. Talk to him then)