twelve: We Are Family

The Next Day at 11 AM
Raman & Ishita

"Ishita aunty"

"Haan Adi beta"

"Mum...mumma really came?"

"Haan beta, she really came. This morning. Lekin aap so rahe theh and she didn't want to disturb you." (But you were sleeping and she didn't want to disturb you)

"But I just saw her text. She texted me. That she's going on her honeymoon for a week. Ashok...Ashok uncle didn't even want to marry her. He was saying such bad things about her. Then how can she go with him?"

Adi turned a bewildered face towards Ishita and her heart sunk. How was she to explain to this little boy his mother's motives for marrying a man who had humiliated her publicly, had been blackmailed into the entire setup. How to explain this charade of a honeymoon when Adi knew what the true story was.

"Adi..." she hesitated and then started again, choosing her words carefully. "Adi, sometimes grown ups, adults, they make compromises, do things because of circumstances. Your mum must have had good reasons of her own. Maybe one day when you are an adult, you will understand. But remember, she loves you, and so do we, and we all want you to get better quickly. Now have this tablet nurse left for you."

She handed the painkiller and a glass of water to Adi and he took the same, handing the glass back to her once he had finished.

"Are you comfortable Adi?"

"Yes. Thank you"

"Mein papa ko keh deti hoon ki aap jaag gaye. Woh Doctor se baat karne gaye theh" Ishita smiled at Adi and made to move towards the door, but halted as he called her again. (I'll just tell your papa that you are awake. He went to talk to your doctor)

"Ishita aunty"

"Haan Adi"

"How come you always say such nice things about mum. She says you are so bad but you never say anything bad about her."

"Because she is your mum Adi. And your papa and I know you love her, and we don't want you to have to feel bad about your mum."

"Ishita aunty, aap puri raat yahan theh?" (Were you here all night?)

"Of course beta. Papa aur mein dono yahan theh. Abhi dada dadi aayenge Romi chachu ke saath toh hum ghar jaayenge. Lekin raat ko wapas aayenge, theek hai. Aap ko yahan hum akela bilkul nahi rehne denge."
(Of course son. Both papa and I were here. Dada and dadi will come soon with Romi chachu and then we will go home for a while. But we will be back tonight, okay? We won't let you stay here alone)

"I'm so..I'm sorry"

Ishita looked at Adi in amazement, as the door swung in and Raman looked in.

"Aap sorry kyun ho Adi? It was an accident. Aap ko chot lagi is mein aap ki kya galti hai?" she asked him softly. (Why are you sorry Adi? It was an accident. How is it your fault that you got injured?)

As she was speaking, Raman walked in and put a hand on Adi's forehead.

"No fever" he said with a smile, then turned to his wife" Ishita, Romi ne call kiya tha. Woh Mummy aur papa ke saath ten minutes mein aajayega. Ruhi is with them too,woh Adi ko dekh ke, then she can come home with us. Now Adi" he turned his attention back to his son. "Ishita is right. It was an accident, there's no need to be sorry beta."
(Ishita, Romi called. He will be here with Mummy and Papa in ten minutes. Ruhi is with them too, she can visit Adi and then return home with us. Now Adi, Ishita is right. It was an accident, there's no need to be sorry, son)