eleven: Nuptials

Saturday 4.00pm
Raman and Ishita

"Toh yeh hai aap ka surprise?" (So this is your surprise?)

"Haan. Pasand aaya tumhe? (Yes. Do you like it?)

"I love it Raman. Kitni khubsoorat surprise hai. Aap kitna sochte hai mere liye. Thank you" ( I love it Raman. It's such a beautiful and thoughtful surprise. Thank you)

Raman cradled his wife in his arms, as she snuggled closer to him. Both Adi and Ruhi were out at their Saturday sports events and he had managed to get his hardworking wife to himself in their room.

"Lekin kyun?" (But why?) she asked him as she finally pulled out of his arms and gave him a searching look.

"I wanted to take our vows again Ishita, because when we got married I... I wasn't paying attention, I hadn't realized my love for you. I want to make those promises again, this time with all my heart"

Ishita felt tears prick her eyes at the sincerity in his voice and brushed them away, as she recollected how this conversation had started in the first place.

"Flashback starts"

Ishita had been nagging her husband since Thursday night to tell her what his surprise was, but her Raavan had been piqued by her sleepy sarcasm when he had first tried to tell her, and no amount of kisses and caresses from his repentant wife had shaken him from his silence.

He had stayed silent throughout Friday and this morning enjoying her pouts and threats.

But now it was Saturday afternoon and she had been asking him about whether they would accompany Adi to Shagun's nuptials, and so he had been forced to tell her the truth.

"No Ishita" he had said. "We won't be attending that circus. You see, we have something far better to do. You and I have our own mahurat at Swamy Narayanan temple, to renew our vows."

She had looked at him with tears eyes then.

"Toh yeh hai aap ka surprise?" (So this is your surprise?)

"Flashback Ends"

"Raman" she said now, hesitatingly, not wanting to spoil her husband's mood, but knowing it had to be said. "Adi  really wants to go to Shagun's wedding though. You know that. Are we going to send him alone?"

"Mihika and Mihir will be there" he said shortly, scowling. "If Adi insists on going, he can come back home with Mihika."

"Raman" Ishita touched his shoulder, knowing the reason for his anger. "He is just a little boy. And he loves his mum. Aap usko samajhne ko koshish kijiye please" (Please try to understand him)

"I do understand Ishita" he sighed and grabbed his wife's hand, bringing it to his chest and holding it close. "I just can't stand the way that woman hurts him over and over again and I don't want him to disrespect you at her instigation. He seemed fine on Thursday, but last night, after that ugly message from her, he was being rude to you again, and I won't have that. I know he is torn between what Shagun tells him and what he knows is right, but Adi has to understand. Meri zindagi mein tum kya maine rakhti ho, yeh Adi ko samajhna hoga." (Adi has to understand your place in my life)

"Woh samjhega Raman. Sirf waqt chahiye usse. Woh samjhega. Aap please itna tension mat lijiye." (He will understand Raman. He just needs time, and he will understand. Please don't worry so much)

"I can't help it" he whispered, drawing her into his arms again and resting his chin on her head. "I can't bear to see any of you in pain, or hurting. I love you all so much."