ten: Mothers and Fathers

Four Days Later
The Following Thursday

Shagun
Shagun put the phone down with a sigh.

She had finally managed to get an appointment with the most exclusive celebrity hairdresser for Saturday morning, and the mehendi artist would be coming around tomorrow morning. Then there were the fittings for her outfits - the wedding choli, the reception gown. She was damned if she would repeat any of her outfits from last week, no matter how much much Ashok groaned and complained about the cost. So many preparations and she had to do most things alone.

Mihika was still helping her, although not as much as she had previously, but Mihir had completely withdrawn from everything. She wished her brother would see her point of view, would understand why she had to marry Ashok, but he seemed to be totally disgusted and had told her that while he would attend her wedding on Saturday, he really did not want to be involved in any preparations.

And then there was Adi. She had wondered just why her son had left so abruptly on Sunday when Mihika had come to drop him off, why he had agreed so meekly to stay with the Bhallas. Mihika had called her on Sunday morning to tell her that Adi and she had come to Khanna mansion, but they had seen that Shagun was busy and Adi would stay with his father until Shagun's wedding. Just what had Adi seen, Shagun wondered over and over again. She had insisted on speaking to him then, but he hadn't said anything much, just that he knew she was busy and he would come back home after her wedding.

At first she had been relieved that Adi would be away this week, since it would have been difficult to find any time at all for him when all the wedding preparations had to be done. But then she had started to wonder just why her son had left, what had made him agree to stay with a man he hated, who she had taught him to hate. She knew he had been calling her, had left messages with the servants, but she had been so busy with her pre - wedding parties and preparation, that she hadn't been at home whenever he called. She had finally spoken to him yesterday, but apart from asking how she was, and telling her he was fine, Adi had been uncommunicative. She knew he was upset with her, and so she had decided she had to meet him.

It had been difficult to find time, but she had managed to free herself for lunch, had taken him out from his school to a nearby five star hotel.

"Kya hua Adi beta" she had asked him. "Tum call kar rahe theh lekin jab mein ne call kiya toh tumne baat hi nahi kiya. Are you upset with mumma? I'm sorry beta, sara kaam mujhe khud karna padta hai, so mumma was busy. Now tell me, kya baat hai? Tum abhi se hi Raman ke saath kyun rahne gaye?"
(What's the matter Adi? You were calling but when I called back you didn't want to talk. Are you upset with mumma? I'm sorry beta, I have to do everything myself, so mumma was busy. Now tell me, what is the matter? Why did you go to live with Raman already? )

"Mihika aunty said I was going to stay there half the week from now on, mumma." Adi had responded hesitatingly. "She told me you had agreed to give my custody to him."

"Yes beta" Shagun had agreed. "Ashok is being so difficult, I need some time to bring him back into line. Aur phir Raman tumhara papa hai, so you should get your proper share of everything from him. But don't worry, I will make sure that Ashok makes you his heir. Tumhe zindagi mein kabhi kisi cheez ki kami nahi hogi Adi. So I'm sorry beta, tumhe kuch dino tak Raman ke saath bhi rehna padega, But it's so that you get your proper share from both places Adi."( Yes son. Ashok is being so difficult, I need some time to bring him back into line. And then after all, Raman is your papa, so you should get your proper share of everything from him. But don't worry, I will make sure that Ashok makes you his heir. You will never want for anything in your life, Adi. So I'm sorry beta, you have to stay with Raman as well for some time, But it's so that you get your proper share from both places Adi)