seven: Champagne Tastes

Raman & Ishita
Casa Bianca

Raman mentally kicked himself for the hundredth time.

"Gadhe" he told himself "Champagne bedroom mein pilani thi. Ab dekh, kaise waste ho raha hai yaar. Teri biwi toh talli ho gayi, lekin tujhe kya fayda beta?" (Idiot, you should've plied her with champagne in the bedroom. Now look at how it's all being wasted. Your wife is fully drunk, but what advantage have you got from that son?)

Ishita was sitting on a table just to the right of the dance floor, giving dental advice to the Manager. She had already given advice to the waiters and now that the band was on a break, the musicians were also lining up to get their own dental care tips. It was late and a slow night, and apart from one table with a canoodling couple, the other diners had left.

She had been dancing with Raman on the dance floor, having pulled him away from his dinner, when she had noticed one of the waiters grimacing silently. Although she had been the one who had insisted on dancing, she had immediately decided that it was more important to see what was wrong with the man, and deserted her bewildered husband on the dance floor to check the situation out.

Upon being told by the waiter that he had a a sore tooth, she had decided that they all needed dental care advice and had started her free dental clinic.

Raman glanced at his watch. 11pm. If he was going to salvage anything of this night, then he had to get Dr Ishita Bhalla out of her community service mode, her samaaj seva avataar, and bring his Jhansi Ki Rani back into his arms.

He motioned the Manager over.

"Put the bill on my account" he drawled "And tell my wife you are closing up. Although yaar, bill toh mujhe bhejna chahiye, tum sub ko, yeh free dental advice jo le rahe ho, aur meri raat kharaab kar rahe ho." ( Although my friend, I should be invoicing you, you're all getting free dental advice and ruining my night)

"Madamji kitni aachi hai sir" the Manager said nodding enthusiastically. "Kitne acchi tarha se baat kar rahi hai sab se" ( Your wife is so good sir. She is talking so nicely to everyone)

"Yeah yeah" Raman muttered. Good for all, but what about me, he thought ruefully

"Ishita" he walked over to where his wife was demonstrating brushing techniques to the guitarist and violinist. "Yeh restaurant close ho raha hai. In logon ko ghar jaana hai. Chalo, hum bhi chalte hai." ( Ishita, this restaurant is about to close, these people need to go home. Come, let's go home now)

The restaurant manager making affirmative noises on the background, Ishita allowed Raman to pull her to her feet, and entwined her hand with his, putting her head on his shoulder.

"Kitne bure hai in sab ke daat Raman" she said with a frown. (They all have such bad teeth Raman)

"Toh hone do na yaar, tum ne saari Delhi ki daat ke thekha le rakha hai kya" (So let it be. Have you taken responsibility for the teeth of all the people in Delhi?) he grumbled as he held the door open for her, and they stepped into the chilly Delhi winter night.

"Ramaaan, it's so beautiful. Kitni achi lagti hai sardi" Ishita ran and sat on the bonnet of their car, her head thrown back, her curls cascading down her back. "Abhi ghar nahi jaate hai na" (Raman, it's so beautiful. I love this cold weather. Let's not go home just yet)

"Toh kya karna hai Madam?" Raman stood with his arms folded across his chest, a soft smile playing on his face, watching his wife. "Yeh Chennai nahi hai, jo mandir khule milenge tumhe. Yahaan toh bas nightclubs hi hai. Woh dekho, two doors down, woh Delhi ka sab se hip and happening club hai. Chalogi?"
(Then what would you like to do madam? This isn't Chennai, that you'll find temples open at this time. The only things open here are nightclubs. Look there, two doors down, that's Delhi's most hip and happening night club. Wanna check it out?)