thirty

Benny was sitting in his history class, zoning out and desperately wanting to leave the room. His head was sat in his hand, holding up his consciousness. The teacher just handed them a packet and was going over the instructions while Benny wasn't paying a single bit of attention.

A girl who sat beside of him furrowed her eyebrows at him. "Why aren't you paying attention?"

Benny gave her a hard stare. He never hated a lot of people, but that girl got on his nerves like you wouldn't believe. She wore some thick glasses that sat too low on her nose, along with the sweatshirt that she wore everyday and obviously needed some time in the washer.

Benny didn't even know her name; he didn't want to. All he knew about her was that she constantly tried to be better than him in almost everything.

"Why don't you lay off my ass?" he asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Hey, that's really-"

"-Rude? Yeah, that's the point."

"Benny! Rebecca! Hush!"

After what seemed like hours, the bell finally rang and Benny rushed out of his desk and into the hallway, leaving the girl to bicker and complain to the teacher about him.

------

"Hey, B."

Ellie smiled at him as she leaned next to his locker. Benny made a funny expression at her, a little bit in dismay. "You seem happy. What's the occasion?"

"Glad you asked, because..." She paused her sentence to make a drum-roll noise before spreading her arms out in excitement. "...I got accepted for a higher level mage!"

"You what?!" he grinned. "Oh my god, that's awesome!" Benny wrapped his arms around Ellie and swung her around slightly. "I'm so jealous, but that's so cool."

"I know!" she exclaimed. "Your grandma told me to try it out, and I might actually raise to a higher-up."

"You have no clue how cool you are to me right now."

While Benny and Ellie celebrated, down the hallway leaning into her locker was the random girl from Benny's history class, Rebecca. She tuned into what they were saying, and she couldn't believe her ears. "Mage?"

She peered down the empty hallway and watched Benny and Ellie, smiling at each other and laughing at Ellie's accomplishment.

"Do you have the book with you?"

"Yeah, hold on."

Rebecca's eyes widened when she saw a brown leather book pop into the air surrounded by purple sparks. Ellie caught it in her hands and handed it to Benny. "Please don't lose it this time, we need it."

"Last time wasn't even that bad!"

Benny and Ellie left the hall, while Rebecca was just stunned at her locker. "They're in so much trouble."

------

Ethan and Sarah walked down the hall and before they could turn the corner, they were met with this weird-looking girl. She completely caught them off-guard and Sarah even jumped a little bit. "Are you two Ethan and Sarah?"

"Uh... yeah?" Ethan questionably replied.

"Good." The girl grabbed both of their arms and dragged them into an empty art room in the hall. "You're all in trouble."

"Trouble?" Sarah asked. Ethan guessed that when Sarah first initially heard the word 'trouble', she thought paranormal trouble, but Ethan quickly responded. "Why are we in trouble? What did we do?"

"I saw your friends today; Benny Weir and that other girl," she told them. "Okay, so?"

"Get this: they're both magicians," she explained. Their eyes widened for half a second before it was quickly covered with a snicker from both of them.

"Are you kidding? Magicians?" Sarah asked, trying to sound like she was about to laugh. "What? Did they have a little deck of cards, or a white rabbit that they pulled out of a top hat?"

"No, no, you have to believe me!" she tried to tell them. "I-I saw them talking to each other, and then the girl made a book appear out of thin air. Thin air!"

"Yeeeah..." Ethan winced. "Sorry, weirdo, but I think you're seeing things. Or you just need to go to the doctor."

The two of them promptly left, and when they saw that the girl was out of earshot, they looked back to each other and said the same thing.

"Oh, god."

------

It was the end of the day, and Ellie was getting ready to pack up her things and go to the library. About one day a week, she would stay after school and catch up on extra homework or read something good. It was better than sitting at home doing nothing.

She made her way down the empty hall, with nothing but the sound of her shoes squeaking against the tile. As she continued, she faintly heard two voices that sounded roughly familiar arguing with one another. She looked down the hallway and saw Benny yelling at this random girl.

"Hey, hey, what's going on?" Ellie quickly asked.

"Okay, this is going to sound so weird," Benny began to her. "This girl thinks that we're like... wizards or something."

Ellie paused for a quick moment before inhaling, "Let me get something out of my bag." She faked a cough and in the midst of the cough, she mumbled, "Mittere fluctus ad invicem."

Hey, B, it's me.

Ellie saw Benny slightly jump at the sound of her voice inside of his head. He sent a message back to her.

You actually got this spell to work?

Maybe...

"Are you going to respond to me or not?" the girl questioned.

"Probably not, because what you're saying is complete and utter bullshit and we really don't wanna hear it," Benny fired back at her.

Damn, that was good.

Thanks, I've been building that up for her for a while.

"You're saying that I didn't see this girl make some book appear out of the air?" the girl asked. Ellie made a confused expression saying, "Yeah. That's exactly what we're telling you."

"Okay, I don't believe you."

Benny watched Ellie roll her eyes and huff at this girl being so stubborn.

You wanna do it?

I really do.

You start it off.

"Oblivio nemnath..." Ellie began. The girl cocked an eyebrow at her. "Wha-?"

"Obliviartic..." Benny added, raising his hands with Ellie.

"Kapuit!"

------

"So, you fixed your problem?" Ethan asked Benny and Ellie. "That girl creeps me out."

"We did, actually," Benny huffed. "Our memory spell was so strong that she forgot who I was."

"I mean, that's a good thing, though," Ellie commented. "I'm glad she doesn't remember us; she's a creep."

"I didn't even know her name."

"I don't think she does, either."