31. THE DAY

Finally the much awaited 20th September arrived. As the clock struck twelve, every one wished Nandini with smiles on their faces, but this smile was only short lived. It was a day containing happiness and sadness as well. But nobody could help it. It was all in the hands of destiny. But one thing that Manik had decided that he will hurt none out of Nidhi and Nandini. Both of them are equally important to him.

"Daddy will we go out and celebrate mommy's birthday??" Asked an excited Pari.

"Umm, not really, but we will celebrate in the house because daddy got some other plans for your Mommy." He replied with a smile.

"Can I join in too?" She asked with hope in her eyes.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, but it's just Mommy and daddy tonight. But I promise this Sunday daddy will take you out to the fair."

"Promise?"

"Promise, now go get ready. We have to start Nidhi mom's Pooja ceremony."

"Okay." She replied with a small smile.

After a half hour, everyone assembled in the living room except Nandini. They weren't sure if Nandini would come or not. But she surprised everyone by descending the stairs, clad in a white saree.

"Nandini, are you sure you want to come with us?" Nayonika asked.

"Yes, I'm sure Maa. I really want to come with you. And trust me, I am fine." Nandini replied.

"Pandit ji, please shuru ki jiye." Dadi bua asked the priest to begin the pooja. Manik sat in the front along with Pari. While they were performing all the rituals Nandini questioned Nayonika.

"Maa, why doesn't Pari talk about Nidhi nor address her as her mother?"

"Pari was only about a year when Nidhi expired. She only knows that Nidhi is her mother who gave her birth. She has very vague memories with Nidhi and so she doesn't talk about Nidhi anymore."

The pooja was successfully completed. And like every year, Manik spent some time alone with Nidhi in their room. Respecting his decision, Nandini left the room.

Hey Nidhi. I hope you are fine. I know it's been long I haven't talked you and I am extremely sorry for that. But trust me, you are still important for me. I know this may sound rude to you, but I've finally learned that I'm in love Nandini. You know Nandini, don't you? Oh god, what am I asking? Of course you know. You're always watching us. And I'm glad you do. Nandini's a great girl and I've finally realized the truth that Nandini is the one whom I love, maybe more than you. I've experienced some new feelings that I haven't experienced with you. I hope you understand. For people it may be wrong to celebrate the death anniversary of your late wife when your second wife is present and is with you, but for me it is not wrong. For people it may be not right to celebrate someone's birthday on the death day of another person from the same family but for me it is not wrong. I don't care what people think. The thing that matters me the most is your and Nandini's happiness. I promise to do the same always. You've been a most important and beautiful phase of my life and I can never forget you nor let go of you. I love you Nidhi, but it will be unfair if I say I love you more than anyone else. But yeah, I do love you Nidhi.

Before leaving the room, he kissed her photo and caressed it.

-----

Finally the much awaited evening arrived. Manik had two plans in his mind. At first they will celebrate Nandini's birthday with everyone and then he it is only Nandini and him. He's excited as well as nervous. He hoped that his surprise will be liked by Nandini. Everyone was getting ready. It was the birthday girl who was lacking behind. Manik entered the room to fetch Nandini, but he stopped in his tracks on seeing her. She looked stunningly elegant dressed up in a light purple indo western gown with a set of diamond earrings adoring her ears and a diamond bracelet surrounded in gold plating in her hand. Manik's eyes scanned her from head to toe as if she's the only beauty existing in this world. Nandini fidgeted with her fingers as he scrutinized her.

 Nandini fidgeted with her fingers as he scrutinized her

"You look stunning, absolutely gorgeous." He complimented her.

"Umm, thank you." She replied as her cheeks heated up.

"Let's go, everyone's waiting for you downstairs."

Everyone was staring at this couple with awestruck faces. They looked like a perfect match, which is indeed true. Nandini had wrapped her left arms around Manik's right arm as they descended the stairs. The first one to come up to them was Navya, who embraced Nandini into a bone crushing hug.

"Happy birthday lovely sissy. God! You look beautiful." Navya chirped.

"Thanks Navi."

Nandini approached her parents who had huge smiles planted on their faces. Taking their blessings she proceeded towards Manik's parents. After everyone wished Nandini, Pari spoke.

"Mommy, I have a surprise for you." The five year old girl said with a beaming smile on her face.

"Aww, mommy is now really excited to see your surprise. Where is it?" Pari ran upstairs to her room and came back with something that was hidden behind her back.

"Close your eyes pweesh." Nandini did as told. Pari placed a book on her hands and asked Nandini to open it. It was a scrapbook that she had prepared especially for Nandini. It contained all the pictures of Nandini, Manik and Pari together. Nandini felt overwhelmed on seeing it

"Did you like it?"

"I loved it baby. It's beautiful. Thank you so much. Mommy loves you a lot."

"I love you too Mommy." Pari kissed her cheek.

After spending some time with their family Manik spoke. "Okay everyone, your time's up. Now if you guys permit, I would like to steal my wife for the rest of the evening." Manik said making everyone laugh while Nandini blushed.

----

Next chapter will be the last one, followed by Epilogue.