Track 21

Do you remember? 

How you were the first to make me cry. 

Wearily, you huffed out a slow sigh. 

Combing a hand through your hair, you diverted your attention to me who was standing by the classroom door. 

You attempted to give me a small smile, yet the frown on your lips was unavoidably visible. 

Throughout the weeks, you had been defending me of rumours and talks behind my back. I appreciated your warm words and gestures, but, the words were still there. 

They had undoubtedly hurt me. 

I took a seat next to you. It was the end of the school day.  You didn't go home, so I didn't either. 

I took out my notepad, fidgeting with the pen in my hand. 

"What's wrong." You stared at me, watching me in a nervous state. 

I let my pen glide on the paper, writing out my honest thoughts and the pain they carried. 

"Would it be better if we broke up?" 

Your eyes travelled from the notepad to my saddened expressions.

"Why would you think that?" 

"Others don't like us being together." 

"Does their opinions matter that much to you?" 

You furrowed your eyebrows, staring into my eyes. 

"We're being judged constantly aren't we?" 

"So what?" 

You stated firmly, a little more aggressively this time. 

"I'm ruining other's image of you."

"I don't care." 

"You're getting backlashes from your friends and" 

Before I could finish writing, you were already standing up.

"Hana. I don't care." The words fell from your lips blatantly. 

If I had noticed the weariness and the glint of hurt in your eyes that drove your anger, I would've known that your aggressiveness that day wasn't meant to hurt me. 

Yet, I hadn't seen any of it. 

Your building anger only frightened me little by little. 

"You know it was never a good idea to be seen with" 

I was interrupted by you. 

"I don't know and I never thought of that." The enraged tone was laced in your words. 

"But that's what everyone"

"Hana. I told you I don't care." 

My eyes widened at your fiery gaze and clenched jaw.  My fingers clenched tightly at the grip of my pen.

"Doesn't being with me hurt yo"

The painfully slow communication between us was wearing your patience. 

You always waited for my response. But in that situation, everything had built up; the frustration, the pain, the weariness. 

That day, you had finally let go of your temper. 

"Damn it Hana! Why don't you just speak!

Your voice boomed in the empty classroom, rapidly sending a shiver straight down my spine at your sudden outburst. 

Instantly, your lips pursed at your words, your eyes widening at your own temper. 

A pool of tears welled in my eyes. 

It wasn't because of your intimidating gaze. 

It wasn't because of your angered tone. 

Your unexpected words sent a throb of familiar pain to my heart as I held back a sob. The traumatic memory was well engraved in my mind. 

You knew that words were my weakness. 

And when you saw the glistening tears glide down my cheek, the heated flame in your orbs was extinguished instantly. 

Your fists loosened, the tenseness easing in your body. Your feet slowly urged forward. 

"Hana-" 

Your raspy voice croaked out, watching my figure run out of the classroom.