A Mysterious Arrival

When she came to the girl found herself on a soft bed. As she slowly opened her eyes she saw she was in a small room and in the corner reading a book was a woman whose image was frighteningly familiar. She wore a long black dress with buttons down the front. She had a stern face and her jet black hair was pulled back in a bun with a braid going over the top of her head. This woman was undoubtedly Madame Giry, the strict ballet mistress from The Phantom of the Opera. But this was impossible.

She looked up and closed her book. "Ah good. You're awake. How do you feel?" Her tone was strong yet it also had gentleness to it.

The girl sat up slowly taking in Madame Giry before finally saying, "I feel fine for the most part. But I have to be hallucinating this can't be possible."

"Can you tell me your name and what do you mean by this can't be possible," Madame Giry asked furrowing her brow.

Pausing the girl said, "My name is Juliette DuBois, I am eleven years old and from America. As far as what is impossible I mean the fact that you are real. Or that this room looks like it is from the 19th century. You're just a character from a book and a play." Juliette's voice sped up as she began to feel more worried.

"Calm down child what do you mean? Don't worry there is no hurry," said Madame Giry soothingly. Meg is lucky to have such a good mother a small part in the back of Juliette's mind thought.

"Please don't think that I'm crazy because what I am about to say is hard to believe. Where I come from you are just a story. Granted a famous one that has been adapted to a wonderful play. But you, Meg, The Phantom, and even the Opera Populaire are works of fiction in my favorite story. And..." Juliette hurried on scared Giry wouldn't believe her. "If you want proof, I know that your name is Madame Antoinette Giry the ballet mistress at the Opera Populaire, I know that the Phantom's real name is Erik Destler, you rescued him from a gypsy fair where he was shown off as The Devils Child, and the right side of his face is covered by a mask because he has a deformity."

Madame Giry looked skeptical but shocked. "Nobody else knows all of that and yet the idea that you come from a whole different world is crazy. And you have no idea how you got here?"

Juliette shook her head. "No I don't. By the way how did I end up here?" She asked curiously.

"My daughter Meg found you near the outside of the opera house. We brought you inside as you were unconscious and placed you in a spare room. Most people are gone for the holidays." Madame Giry answered.

Juliette nodded but then placed a hand to her head as nodding made her head hurt. Immediately noticing this Madame Giry stood up.

"I think that is enough questioning for now. We can worry about everything else once you are more rested up. I must leave to take care of some matters so just rest for now."

Juliette thanked her and then slowly lay back down. All of this was a lot to take in. Sure, she adored the story but that didn't make waking up in the middle of it any less scary. She sighed. There wasn't much she was going to be able to do right now so she may as well try and get some rest. Soon she was fast asleep completely unaware of the masked man watching her from behind the mirror.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Madame Giry strode down the hallway. She wasn't sure entirely what to think of the young girl. Certainly, she didn't believe Juliette to be a danger in anyway. Madame Giry prided herself on being a good judge of character and the girl seemed sweet enough. In fact, she reminded Madame Giry of her own daughter Meg. As for the story about being from a different time and world, well it was ridiculous and yet, Juliette did not seem to be lying. No, her panicked expression that practically begged to be believed proved that.

Suddenly, just as she reached her office and stepped inside Madame Giry felt a presence around her. She was clearly not alone. "I know you're there Erik," she said into the apparently empty room.

After a moment of silence, a panel in the wall slid open and a man dressed in a black tuxedo with a white mask that covered half his face, stepped out. "Your keen senses never cease to astound me Antoinette," he said in a smooth and melodic voice.

"I have known you for many years. Your tricks do not surprise me quite as much. Besides you weren't making that much of an effort to hide yourself," she replied as they both sat down.

"Well this is an interesting development," The Phantom, or as Madame Giry had called him Erik, said casually.

"If you are referring to Juliette then I agree it certainly is interesting. What did you think of her?" Madame Giry asked.

"She is certainly taking the situation about waking up in a new place or century for that matter, quite decently. Much better at least than most of the ballet rats her age. Her story about us being a legend seems impossible but judging by her behavior she at least believes it to be true. And it would be the only explanation about how she managed to find out about the gypsy fair," he said rather analytically.

Madame Giry nodded. "My thoughts exactly. Honestly, I think it would be best if we put the story part from our minds right now. The real concern is what is going to happen to her once she is better. It was lucky she appeared over the holidays with few people around, but things won't be that way forever. She clearly has no place to go."

"Perhaps she could join the dancers her and train to be in the corp de ballet. From the brief look at her that I got it appears she has the form of a dancer. If need be I can also put in a word with the manager," The Phantom said.

"That seems like the best option to me. Once she wakes up I will ask her about it." Madame Giry agreed.

The Phantom stood up and headed back toward the panel. "Good, keep an eye on her. It would be a pain to save her only to have something else happen."

As the panel closed Madame Giry turned away and headed off to check on Juliette.

Note: So Erik seems to have taken an interest in our little dancer. Please comment! :)