The Opera Ghost

Juliette had to admit that upon seeing the lair she was shocked. It was exactly as she had imagined with an organ and a few other musical instruments around, red hangings, and of course the boat, which she remembered from the musical. However, what drew her attention was the man at the organ who seemed to be having what one might call "musician's block". He kept scratching out certain verses and had not yet noticed Juliette.

She had just finished her internal debate over what to do next when a bit of rock near her crumbled and fell into the water. The Phantom started and looked round, his eyes falling on Juliette.

The pair locked eyes and there was a tense silence. Juliette wasn't sure whether to feel excited or terrified. As for the Phantom, well, even with a half mask it was still impossible to read what thoughts were flying through his head.

"What, are you doing here?" he said slowly. His voice was low and there was an underlying threatening tone in it.

Juliette seemed to have temporarily lost the ability to speak. However, after a moment she took a breath and said in a slight rush,

"I'm sorry monsieur I didn't mean to come and intrude it's just I was in box five and found the passage and then well, I got curious and made my way down and..." she trailed off rather hopelessly.

"Didn't you ever hear "curiosity killed the cat?" asked the Phantom. "And what were you doing in Box Five anyway I thought you would be smart enough to follow my rules. Apparently, I misjudged you." His tone was sharp.

"I am nothing like the other girls!" said Juliette indignantly. "I don't panic at every noise and gossip about the Phantom of the Opera! If you must know I went to box five to leave you a letter. Finding the passage was a total accident!"

"A letter?" said the Phantom. "Why on earth would you write to me?"

"I was going to thank you. For what you did for me the other night," Juliette's voice became softer. "I hate to think of what might have happened had you not intervened."

There was a short silence. The Phantom seemed to be studying her. Unsure of what to do she said,

"I really am sorry for disturbing you. From what I heard your music is amazing. It is even more lovely than I imagined it would be."

"Thank you," said the Phantom and then in an effort to remove the awkwardness he said, "We had best get you back to the surface your mother will be frantic. Or else think I kidnapped you."

Juliette gave a smile and began to follow the Phantom back up the passage. As she followed him back the Phantom said,

"It was extremely foolish of you to attempt to come down the tunnel you could have gotten injured in one of the traps. You seem to be making an unfortunate habit of being in places you shouldn't."

"Then I suppose I was lucky," she paused "though I guess in all honesty I am not entirely sorry I came down. I got to hear some of your music." The Phantom scoffed.

"Hardly a good reason for a child to be wandering around in the catacombs," The Phantom waited a moment and then said, "you seem to have already had an idea of what my music might be like."

"Yes, I had expected it to be wonderful. I already knew you were a great composer. But the energy and emotion that fills your music is gorgeous beyond belief. Although I do object to being called a child thank you very much." She added at the end.

"I appreciate the compliment. It is rare I have anyone comment on my music. As for you being a child, I believe you have quite a few years ahead of you before you leave that category."

While the remark was a bit of an insult Juliette could tell he did not mean it in a harsh way.

The pair walked on in comfortable silence. When they reached the top. The Phantom turned to face her.