Late Nights and Lovely Performances

It was around midnight and Erik was up writing music at his organ. To some this might seem strange given the time however, when you live underground fifty percent of the time one loses track of time.

It was just as he was finishing up a particularly hard section of the song he was writing that he heard footsteps. He immediately reached for his lasso and became alert, watching the passage. No one who knew of his home should be coming down here at this time. It was after all the middle of the night. Thus, he was shocked when the person came around the corner.

"Juliette!" Erik said in surprise. "What in the name of God are you doing down here at this time?" She was in her bedclothes. Here long dark blonde hair was in a side braid and she wore a thin white bathrobe over her nightdress. She had her arms wrapped around herself.

"I couldn't sleep," she said simply as she walked further into his home.

"So, you decided to come and take a midnight stroll to here of all places?" he said disbelievingly. You do realize you have a big day tomorrow." She merely shrugged and sat down on his couch.

"Strange choice but then I am a strange person."

"Truer words were never spoken. You really should get back to the dormitories." Erik told her.

"Please, please let me stay just for a little while. I swear I won't be a bother. I will just sit here and listen," she begged. Looking at her pleading face he sighed. It was slightly odd but he often found it difficult to refuse the young girl.

"You could never be a bother, you can stay but only for a little while then you need to head back up." She nodded to show she understood and Erik went back to his music. After a while Juliette asked.

"What is that piece called? I haven't heard you play that before."

"It's new. I call it Music of the Night." He told her and a look of recognition crosses her face.

"Can I hear the whole thing please?" Juliette asked. After a short pause Erik began to play and sing.

Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation
Darkness stirs and wakes imagination
Silently the senses abandon their defenses

Slowly, Gently, night unfurls its splendor
Grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender

Turn your face away from the garish light of day

Turn your thoughts away from cold unfeeling light
And listen to the music of the night

Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams

Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before

Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar!
And you'll live as you've never lived before

Softly, deftly, music shall surround you

Feel it hear it closing in around you
Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind
In this darkness which you know you cannot fight
The darkness of the music of the night

Let your mind start a journey to a strange new world
Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before
Let your soul take you where you long to be
Only then can you belong to me

Floating, falling, sweet intoxication
Touch me, trust me, savor each sensation
Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in
To the power of the music that I write
The power of the music of the night

Erik looked over and saw that Juliette had curled up and was lying on his couch with her eyes closed. Slowly he got up and walked towards her as he continued to sing.