A New Family

Three years later...

Thirteen. Thirteen years old and she still remained in the nineteenth century. Juliette stood at the bar and stretched lifting a leg up on the bar with her toe pointed. Next to her Meg was doing the same thing and chatting away about some piece of gossip.

Not much had changed since her arrival two years previously. Juliette had found that she excelled at ballet. Soon she was one of the best dancers. She had also grown quite close to Meg and Madame Giry. In fact, Juliette had spent the previous Christmas at their house. This was partially due to the fact that Meg seemed to have permanently attached herself to Juliette.

"Pliés first girls then we will work on our rond de jambes and grand batmas," ordered Madame Giry with a stomp of her cane.

Immediately all the girls jumped to first position. You never questioned Madame Giry.

Two hours later a hot and tired Juliette emerged from the practice room with Meg by her side.

"Well that was tough. I honestly don't think I could dance another step," said Juliette.

"Save your strength, we have another lesson at noon," replied Meg. "Did you hear the news? There has been another sighting of the Opera Ghost!" Meg's tone was both excited and frightened.

"Oh Meg, you know I don't pay much attention to those so-called sightings. It is probably just some stagehand playing tricks again." Juliette said with a roll of her eyes.

Just as the pair rounded a corner they ran straight into a wall of fabric and feathers. It was La Carlotta and some of her minions. What's worse was that Marietta seemed to have joined her.

"Out of my way you foolish little rats! Why don't you watch where you are going?!" Said Carlotta angrily.

"Please, these two can barely see where to dance let alone watch where they're going," Marietta sneered. With her nasty disposition, Marietta had easily wormed her way into Carlotta's group of cronies.

"It was just as much your fault as it was ours now I apologize for the accident but there is no need to get nasty," Juliette stated calmly. She would prefer this situation not escalate.

"Shut your mouth you stupid charity case. You are just e're by pity and that little imp is just lucky her mother works e're," snapped Carlotta.

"Well at least Juliette has some talent!" said Meg although she shrank back behind Juliette under the glare of the diva.

"O'w dare you!" cried Carlotta.

"That is no way to talk to your superiors," said Marietta furiously.

"Oh, hush up Marietta and quit the wanna be diva attitude. Meg could dance circles round you and as for you Carlotta, well, let's just say the Opera Populaire could use a new diva. Preferably on that can carry a tune." Juliette's tone was brave as she stood up to the over the top diva and the rude ballerina.

Fortunately, the scene was saved from any further trouble by the arrival of Madame Giry. She took in the scene. Marietta and Carlotta facing off against Meg and Juliette, the latter of which was standing protectively in front of Meg.

"Signora don't you have somewhere to be? And Marietta perhaps you could spend your time practicing those turns of yours as opposed to picking fights with your fellow dancers," Madame Giry said briskly. Once Carlotta and Marietta left she turned to the two remaining girls. "I will trust you had nothing to do with starting this incident. Now move along and get something to eat you have class in four hours."

The girls quickly followed her instructions leaving Madame Giry alone in the hallway.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////