Bad Performances and Broken Hearts

Most people were at first surprised that Christine was cast in the silent role. That is until the story of Carlotta's tantrum spread. In truth, Juliette did feel somewhat sorry for Christine but at the same time was rather annoyed at her due to the Erik scenario.

She had attempted to broach the subject with Christine but Christine refused to discuss it. Another annoying thing was the increased presence of the Viscount. In the new production, Juliette and her sister were both in the chorus which danced during act three. The dance was simple enough, however, the maneuvering of the arched flowers that they danced with was not.

Juliette knew that Erik was not happy with the production. His opera was also not going well. Lately, he had been stuck. All in all, Juliette hadn't gotten to spend much time with him. It was two days before the performance and Meg and Juliette were at their actual house. Sitting on their beds they talked.

"So, do you think the Phantom will interfere with the performance?" Meg asked her sister as she braided her hair.

"Almost certainly. The managers really are idiots not following his orders. Did Christine talk to you about what happened?" replied Juliette.

"A bit. The Phantom she described is nothing like the one you talk about." Meg sounded confused.

"She doesn't know or see him as I do. But I think she is being quite superficial not to mention I intend on having a word with her about that Viscount."

"You sure don't like him. Why?" questioned Meg.

"I don't like what he stands for. Most aristocrats from what I know think they are better than us. Additionally, he is the rival of my best friend and while he may be a nice person, I don't think Raoul is right for Christine. She would be like a caged bird if she married him. Why give up a budding career for a man," was Juliette's answer.

"Well, I just hope nobody gets hurt," stated Meg as the pair got into bed and turned out the light.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

On opening night of the show, everything seemed to be running smoothly, but Juliette knew that would change soon. To make things easier she had suggested that the ballet dancers get into costume earlier. At least that was one less thing to worry about.

Standing in the wings with her mother she could see the managers laughing. Juliette looked up at her mother.

"They won't be laughing much longer," she whispered over Carlotta's wailing.

"I expect you are correct," replied Madame Giry. Sure enough, not long after the Phantom's voice rang through the theatre.

"I believe I instructed that box five was to be kept empty." Almost everyone gasped and Christine said,

"It's him, the Phantom of the Opera." This did not go over well with Carlotta who proceeded to call Christine a toad.

"A toad Madame? Perhaps it is you who is the toad." The voice was threatening. Carlotta tried to keep going but to most people's amusement, she began to croak. Juliette, Meg, and Marietta couldn't help but laugh. Above Juliette could glimpse Jaime holding back a laugh.

By now the managers were panicking and Juliette moved to try and help get the ballet in place. The result was not pretty as everyone was tripping over each other. Once they got their bearings the corps de ballet managed to produced something worth watching.

Juliette focused on the steps while one part of her mind anticipated what would come next. Just as she began to wonder when it would happen Buquet's dead body dropped from the catwalk. Everyone screamed. Meg ran to Juliette and grabbed her hand. Juliette pulled her sister off stage and toward their mother who was trying to calm the terrified girls.