Preston Burke-Someone like you

I heard that you're settled down
That you found a girl and you're married now.
I heard that your dreams came true.
Guess she gave you things I didn't give to you.

You had just been asked to speak at a hospital in Zurich, Switzerland with your friend and colleagues Cristina Yang. You had no idea why you were asked to come along since Cristina was the more ambitious and smarter cardiothoracic surgeon. That was until you saw him, Dr. Preston Burke. Your old colleague and ex-boyfriend. He left town after breaking your heart and you never heard from him again until now.

"Cristina, did you know?" You quickly ask your friend before Preston approaches you.
"Nope! But good luck Y/N, you'll need it," She tuts.
"Y/N, I'm glad you and Yang were able to come to speak for my residents and attendings. I mean you both are my prized pupils. I am so proud of what you've both become."
"Burke, I don't know what to say you."

Old friend, why are you so shy?
Ain't like you to hold back or hide from the light.

"Y/N, let's go catch up and I'll buy you a coffee."
"I'm fine, really, I'll just go back to the hotel with Cristina."
"Y/N, no need to act like this we are mature adults and we can have a conversation and catch up we don't have to act this way because we didn't end on good terms."
"I'm fine."
"This isn't like the Y/N that I knew back in Seattle."
"I'm not having this conversation here or now. I'm here for two more days I'll find you sometime in those two days."

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.

You finally pull yourself out of bed after waking up from your emotional day. You hadn't thought of Burke since you got over him leaving you abruptly at the end of your intern year. It took you until the middle of your 3rd year for you to get over him enough to date new people. This surprise appearance really messed with your emotions. You still had a soft spot in your heart for him since he was one of your more serious relationships.

Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
Don't forget me, I beg
I'll remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead"

You decided that you had to get out of bed so you could go see what Burke actually wanted to talk about. You slowly but surely get to the hospital. There you find Preston in his office.

"Ok, I'm here I brought you a coffee, what do you want to talk about?" You ask.
"Thanks, Y/N I was hoping to catch up and then get to what I want to talk about later. I've been keeping tabs on you online and I have to say I'm very impressed with your work."
"Why thank you, I've got to confess I haven't been keeping tabs on you only in the beginning around the time you won the Harper Avery to about a year later."
"That's fine, no hard feelings since the way we left things," He says with a chuckle.
"I see you have a ring, Y/N I'm glad you moved on," he adds.
"I had to, you were never coming back and I had to stand on my own two feet for once because I couldn't rely on you anymore, so when I met my husband which I actually met him my second year so not long after you left me at the altar, he kept badgering me into dating him, but when I told him I wasn't ready he told me I was worth the wait and when I was finally ready around a year later we dated and it went from there. How about you? Are you married, Preston? Have you moved on?"
"I have a wife, two girls and a boy the girls are 6 and 4 and my son is 1," he says as he turns a picture around to show you.
"Omg you have a beautiful family, Burke I'm so happy for you."

You know how the time flies
Only yesterday was the time of our lives
We were born and raised
In a summer haze
Bound by the surprise of our glory days

You sit there for a few hours talking about who you both are as people now.

"Ok, now I have to get to the business part since we are all caught up."
"Okay."
"Y/N, I would like to offer you the position of Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery here at Klausman Institute for Medical Research."
"That's you position Preston, why would you want to give it up?"
"I have worked so hard at bringing this hospital from the ground up and building its reputation, I have had my fun and games and I've been wanting to leave for a while now, I just haven't found anyone that I'd be willing to hand over the reins to, but I'd be willing to hand them to you so, are you willing to grab them and take a hold of them?"
"I have, I have to talk to Mike first, Preston I just got settled I'm actually 3 months pregnant we weren't telling anyone until I came back from this trip, I can't resist this offer but th-the timing, I really really want to take you up on this offer but, I'm not sure it's the right timing."
"My wife Edra has made many sacrifices for me while I have taken my time to build this hospital it is now my turn to make some sacrifices for my family, I'm handing you a hospital. It's up to you."
"It's a big deal like your Willy Wonka and I'm Charlie, Preston you know I have to talk to Mike before I make my final decision."
"Well cheer up Charlie and give me a smile! We can find a way to work around the pregnancy, if you made your decision, I also had my assistant, Jacque extend both yours and Cristina's stay by one day he booked you the same room you're both in and the same airline and the flight is at the same time."
"I'll talk to you tomorrow with a decision," you declare.
"Fine by me."

Nothing compares
No worries or cares
Regrets and mistakes
They are memories made.
Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?

Hi everyone, so it's been awhile since I have updated this book but I have been working on a few chapters!! I've stated this before and I'll say it again, I personally am doing this book all for fun and basically as a hobby so please don't expect frequent updates especially since college has been kicking my ass this semester. I have put writing my stories on the back burner but when I have free time I am usually writing in one of the books. Personally, I love writing for you guys and really the benefit for me is your enjoyment of my stories so feel free to show some love.