Prologue

"The coziest bed in the whole world!" She mumbled and threw herself on the olden neat bedding. She put her head on the lavender coloured pillow and took a deep breath. Well known smell of her favourite flower was spreading all over the room.

Half a year has passed, but room was clean and in order, thanks to her granny Maggie - the most diligent person Sophia has ever met. She was always convinced that her own persistence was inherited from her beloved grandma.

"Sophie! Dinner is ready!" A voice from the kitchen made her cheerfully spring and hurry to the dining room. To say that she had missed granny's cooking would have been such an understatement.

"Have you rested from the ride?" Sophia was asked as soon as she showed up on the door. Maggie was a short lady, her long silver hair braided in the high neat bun. She gave Sophia a warm smile and pointed to the chair for her to sit down. "You must be exhausted..." Maggie said while taking a seat across the table. "The roads are truly poor over here. And the buses... oh, I can't stand traveling by bus!" Rather funny expression showed on her face. "But I made you excellent tea. You should drink a cup or few, there's nothing that some good tea can't fix." She smiled and reached for the teapot.

"Thank you, granny." Sophia said, taking her cup of tea. Then proceeded eyeing the table filled with food - pondering what to eat first and how much food can actually fit into average human stomach. Sincerely hoping that the answer is "as much food as you see on the table" or maybe "as long as you see food on the table", she filled her plate to the last limits.

"Mmm.. swo wood." Sophia violated the bonton by mumbling every compliment to grandma's cooking that crossed her mind. Maggie just smiled broadly, obviously satisfied with the effect of her specialities.

After many delicious bites, Sophia stationed herself on the comfortable armchair near the fireplace. She was sure she had provided energy supplies for at least five following days.

"So, how was the school?" Maggie asked her while occupying remaining armchair and lowering a bowl full of chocolate cookies on the small wooden table.

"Ah, like always... So wonderful that I can't wait for the holidays to come back here." Sophia laughed.

"You bought books again, didn't you?" Maggie smiled, looking at the suitcase next to the bookshelf.

"Of course I did." Sophia turned her head around to give her precious books one more loving look. "There's this one trilogy I have been planning to read for a while. And also that book I told you--"

"But don't you already own enough of them?"

"One can never own enough books!" Sophia turned back and jokingly looked at her grandma with reproach. "After all, you are the one who got me into reading. So no complaining now!" she giggled.

***

Sharp cold wind was piercing through the dense pine forest. Snow flakes were restlessly dancing over the village. Howling wind and dog barking were just distant muffled sounds in the warm room filled with laughter.

"Oh blasted birds! Finn has been barking for days now!" Maggie cut off the story of Sophie's first bike ride and gave the window a sharp glance. "Not even the blizzard can take those creatures of the fence!" She continued with threatening voice. "Just croaking and croaking and--"

The ancient wall clock signified midnight. Both grandma and granddaughter hopped in their cozy seats.

"So soon!" Maggie sprang. Her steps were small but energetic and she was next to the door in a blink of an eye. "Wait a second Sophie... I'll be right back" She smiled and left the room.

Sophia took some time to rise up from her seat, since her stomach felt like an overblown balloon. "Well, I guess I'm the old one here" she whispered. She had never been an athlete, but the fact that even her own grandma was more dashing was truly concerning.

After few moments of utter self-pity, she heard creaking. Maggie shyly peeped through the ajar door. She was looking like a mischievous child when she giggled and hid her hands behind her back.

"Whose birthday are we celebrating today?" She said with a spark in her eye.

"Umm... Could be mine?" Sophia said thoughtfully.

"Oh I don't know... I just overheard something" Maggie joined the play.

"I'm not so sure though."

"It might be a mistake after all..."

"True. A lot of misinformation can be overheard these days."

"It's a shame, really. Because something I might have here-"

"It is. It's my birthday. I'm officially 17." Sophia gave up. Only grandma's cooking and presents could make her do that.

"Well, in that case..." Maggie started, taking a few steps ahead. "Happy birthday, Sophie." She stretched out her hand.

"Thank you, granny." Sophia said softly, reaching for the small wooden box on Maggie's palm. Carefully wrapping her fingers around it, she was examining it. Chest looked so fragile, as if it was about to crush into dust at any moment. It seemed very old - not only because of its unstable construction, but also antique sense it owned. It was bronze coloured, decorated with casted flower patterns of different shapes and sizes. The one to stand out the most was blood red rose on chest's front side.

She opened it cautiously. There was a lining the colour of wine and in the middle of the chest - the necklace. Flat ellipse tag was ornated with the rose pattern from the chest. It was really modest but it seemed as of great value.

"I love it." Sophia said truthfully. "Should I put it on?" She raised the jewelry to her neck, but her grandma's quick hand stopped her.

"Oh... I'm sure it would look great on you. But it's getting late, isn't it?" Maggie's voice was shaky.

"But..."

"You had a really hard day. Go get some sleep, we are making your favourite cake tomorrow!" Maggie insisted.

"Yeah..." Sophie muttered through the yawn. "I am really sleepy." She put the necklace back on its place in the wooden chest and headed to the door.

"You know... She has been waiting for you for a while." Maggie added.

"Who has?" Sophie turned around to face her grandma, unsure if she had heard that correctly. Maggie was looking at her with a warm expression and something in her eye sparkled for a second. Still wondering if she is just imagining things because of her exhaustion, Sophia was surprised by grandma's sudden change of subject.

"Good night, sweetheart." Maggie cut the silence.

"Oh... Good night, granny." She simply decided to play along.

Using last bits of strength Sophia strolled to her bedroom. Her birthday present was carefully laid on the desk, so she carelessly flung herself on the bed.

Had she misheard? She was too tired to think. And soon she wandered off to the deepest tranquillity.

Fragile white crumbs were snowing in the window over her bed. Interlaced with the howling of the wind, muffled croaking was echoing outside. A huge coal-black bird was standing on the window sill, seemingly looking at Sophia through the blurred glass. A blood red spark flashed in its eye.