Chapter 6

"Impressive, isn't it?" Stefan said as they stepped into the passage.

The forest scent was gone. So was the maple tree. They stood in the middle of a huge room, its grey brick walls formed a perfect cylinder. Dim candlelight and high walls made an illusion of an infinite space.

Sophia squinted her eyes and tried to perceive a ceiling. "Is there..." her neck began to ache "a defined end?"

"Interesting question." A voice behind them joined.

She quickly turned around, but there was nothing to be seen as far as the poor lighting allowed.

"That would be our host." Stefan bent down to whisper to her ear. "Let me talk for now, okay?"

Sophia nodded in agreement.

"Mr Meadowood." He made a few steps ahead. "I'm back."

"Stefan?" The voice spoke again. "Why don't you say, you silly boy!"

In an instant, candles lit up. Right before their eyes, as if they were there all along, bookshelves appeared alongside the walls.

Sophia stared in awe. They were surrounded by an ocean of books. "Wonderful." She whispered. "It's like a dream."

"Yeah, sure." Stefan snorted and rolled his eyes.

"Excuse me--"

"Don't worry, Miss." The voice spoke once again. "Some people simply don't understand the incredible world of written word." The footsteps echoed through the huge library. "The power of knowledge." He continued as the footsteps got closer. "The help it can offer." The last sentence was emphasised.

Although the words of reproach were not directed to her, Sophia felt uneasy. Unsure of what to do, she just stood still, her limbs slightly trembling. Stefan didn't turn around either, so she tried to glance at him. As she did so, he suddenly moved.

"Mr Meadowood." He faced the host. "I didn't mean it like that." His voice was barely audible. "I'm sorry."

Sophia followed his lead and cautiously turned around. Old silver haired man stood in front of them. Stare of his large dark eyes pierced through the thin round glasses. His posture and neat dark clothes gave an impression of a certain higher class.

"It's okay, boy." Clean-cut grey moustache twitched, showing a gentle smile. "I know you well enough by now."

"I-" Stefan cut the silence that followed. "I think I've found..." He struggled to choose the words. "...one of The seven."

The man immediately looked at Sophia. For the first time, his piercing gaze was directed to her.

The weight of his stare made her feel uncomfortable. She couldn't bring herself to look him in the eye. After like felt like years, she managed to speak out. "Sophia Russel."

"It's nice to meet you, Miss Russel." Neutral expression on his face hasn't changed. "My name is Rado Meadowood." He slightly lowered his head, then turned around on his heels and paced forward. "Please, follow me."

As they were told to, Stefan and Sophia tailed their host to a great painting of a worktable.

***

It wasn't the first time for Sophia to have such a fairytale-like experience. But walking through a painting wasn't exactly something to get used to in a day.

"You okay?" Stefan asked her as they walked out of the library.

"It's..." she mumbled "a bit dizzy."