Chapter 3

The clothes fit her well. Her long ginger curles were spilled on a green sweater. It was a bit oversized, but it matched tight black pants and asserted her emerald eyes.

Sophia sighed. Even they looked strange and distant. Familiar green eyes stared at her from the mirror like they don't recognize her. But whenever her heart speeded up from fear, deep blue of Kamile's eyes would cloud up her mind and calm her down.

She closed the bathroom door as she stepped in long hall again. Looking for Kamile, she headed to the room she had left few minutes ago.

"And where is she now?" She stopped next to the staircase as she heard deep voice.

"Upstairs with Kamile." The answer was heard from first floor. "She will be okay." Oddly familiar voice added after a short pause.

"Are you sure? That she is..." The deep voice spoke again.

"Pretty much" The younger voice answered. "They didn't even flinch when I showed up."

"Young man, you know what I am saying." The deep voice became quieter, so Sophia stepped on the first stair. "I think we both know..." He was barely audible. She knew that eavesdropping is not okay, but she walked down few more stairs. "...what will happen now." It was obvious that they were talking about her and she couldn't control her curiosity. After all, she had a right to know what will happen. "That girl..." Her foot slipped off the stair and hit the next one.

The conversation died immediately as she revealed her presence.

Internally cursing her clumsiness, Sophia walked down the remaining stairs. She showed up in a living room in front of two strangers. They were gathered around the table in the middle of the room.

'Kamile didn't kill me and I sincerely hope that you won't counteract.' She had on her mind, but she kept it simple...

"Good morning." She was surprised to hear how steady her voice was.

Tall older man was panting a bit and his cheeks were reddish. He was taking off his winter jacket. His hair was grey and snowflakes were sprinkled all over it.

A young man was casually sitting on a chair, lightly rocking his seat. The colours of his coil-black hair and leather jacket perfectly matched. He turned his head around and gave Sophia a look. His eyes made her jaw literally drop. They were so blue and beautiful that she couldn't help it but stare. He moved his piercing gaze back to his hand and continued playfully tapping on the table with some small metal object he was holding. His smirk told her he had noticed her reaction.

"So... You are the one?" The older man asked her.

"Well... I guess so." She mumbled. She wasn't sure how to answer. And the only thing she could think about was how hot her cheeks felt.

"You are." He smiled. "Please, sit down."

"How are you feeling?" He asked her as she sat across the two of them.

Sophia put few locks behind her ear. "Fine, thanks." She tried not to look away from the person she was addressing. But the rhythmic tapping that the cause of her most recent embaresment was making reminded her of his presence.

"I didn't even introduce myself." The old man continued. "My name is Pero Stargazer."

"I am Sophia Russell. It's nice to meet you."

The tapping suddenly stopped. She still didn't have a courage to look at him, but that was enough to make a conclusion - she didn't know why, but her name had catched his attention.

"I believe you met my daughter, Kamile." Pero said.

"Yes, I did." The mention of Kamile's name alone made Sophia's body finally relax. For a moment she even forgot that she had marked glancing at the left side of the table as forbidden. So her eyes wandered off. The black haired lad was blankly looking at something on the other side of the room. He seemed to be lost in thoughts.

"And where is she now?" Sophia asked Pero.

"Probably in her room." His light eyes darkened a bit. "She might not be... feeling well."

"So..." He cut off the silence that followed. "We have a lot to talk about."

"I agree." Sophia was impatient to hear all the answers.

"But first..." He got up and walked to the door next to the staircase. "I will inform my wife that our guest is awake. I'm sure she would be more than glad to treat you."

As Pero left the room, there was only silence. Sophia didn't even think of talking to that one handsome but apparently too self-loving person next to her. She noticed the huge painting that covered almost entire wall. It showed old cottage hidden somewhere in the middle of a forest.

She spent few moments admiring the art, when she heard his voice.

"Hello, Curles." He teased.

"Hello." She tried to sound cold, still looking at the painting.

"I'm Stefan." He added. As she didn't say anything, he continued. "You know... You can't ignore me forever."

"And what makes you think so?" Sophia said, still determined not to look at him.

"Oh... You will find out soon." His tone told her he had certainly smirked again.

The door opened and Sophia finally looked away from amazing art. A short old lady was walking towards her. Her hair was short and curly, grey with few dark locks. Wide smile shined on her face.

"Oh, sweetheart." She hugged Sophia. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you." Sophia smiled.

"I'm Joka." The lady continued with a smile. "And you are hungry." She confidently stated.

Pero walked into the room. "Girl just woke up... She needs some space." He protested.

"What she needs now is breakfast." Joka insisted. "And I'm happy to cook for one more today!" She added excitedly as she left for the kitchen.

"Ehh..." Pero sighed. "When is she not happy?" He laughed.

A dog barking interrupted his laugh. Stefan jumped off his seat and opened up the front door.

He disappeared in the snowy morning, while the two stood stiffly at the same spot. Cold winter air filled the room and made Sophia tremble.

"We need to go." Stefan rushed back inside. He was followed by Siberian Husky, its fur was black and white, eyes blue. "Immediately" He yelled as he grabbed a backpack off the table.

"Is it necessary?" Even Pero's usually calm voice sounded worried this time. He got his answer from Stefan's nod and concerned expression.

"But where are you going?" Sophia asked, starting a conversation with Stefan for the first time.

"When I say 'we'," he answered, walking right at her. "I mean... us." He grabbed her upper arm and made her follow him.

"Stefan, be careful!" Pero yelled behind them.

"Don't worry!" Stefan yelled back, while holding Sophia tightly next to him.

Before she could say a word of protest or utter amazement, she saw a dog jump into the painting. Then she was pushed inside.