Chapter 8

"I've got news. Big ones." Stefan spoke. He opened his eyes and looked at Sophia. "What do I do with you, Curles?"

She stared at the boy lying down on the sofa. Her lips parted to speak out, but the sound was absent.

"You pack and go, of course." The familiar female voice startled her. "Get up."

Sophia turned around to Kamile. "Hi." She said with a smile.

"Hello." The black haired girl smiled back. "So we meet again? I'm glad."

"Me too. How are you feeling? You seem... better now."

"I'm fine, thank you." Kamile's eyes met the ancient necklace hanging around Sophia's neck. "And you seem not to be under my influence anymore, am I right?"

"You're right." The redhead smiled. Her hand reached for the talisman, feeling the slight tickling in her palm. "I've got my talisman with me now."

"Miss is Maria Russel's descendant." Meadowood joined them through the painting. "Telepathy."

"Oh that's great." Kamile's eyes widened in surprise. "So there's four of us now. We need three more." She looked at Rado.

"That's going to be a tough task." His deep voice echoed with seriousness and concern. "But as we feared for a while now, and finally concluded today, it must be done. And I trust you with it." He gave Kamile a reassuring look, then moved his gaze to meet Sophia's eyes. "All of you."

"Aren't you coming with us, Mr Meadowood?" Kamile asked.

"I'm sorry, but I can't leave The library at a time like this." Rado's eyes wandered to the painting of the great bookshelves. "I've been The Guardian for almost my whole life, ever since I turned 17. But never have these chambers been in the greater need of my guardianship." Suddenly he paused and turned around. "Where's Kol?"

"He went for some sleeping tea for Stefan." Sophia answered. "But it looks like he didn't need it after all." She added as she noticed that the boy's eyes were tight shut, his breathing slow and deep.

Kamile walked to him and grabbed his arm. "Time to wake up." Holding his leather jacket tightly around his wrist, she started pulling him off the sofa. "Get up!" Stefan immediately woke up and began whining and resisting her. "Have mercy!"

"Maybe you should've let him rest for a while. We are not in a great hurry." Meadowood said. "He has been wearing that ring of yours for hours now, he is exhausted."

"And that's how she thanks me!" Stefan muttered. "If it was not for me, you'd be--" His complaint was cut by the pillow he had been hit by.

Sophia has been standing still for the whole time, observing the show in front of her. She thought of helping Kamile, but noticed that Stefan was discretely smirking. She could have bet he wasn't even sleepy any more, he just really enjoyed teasing the girl. Besides, the strange feeling from her talisman hasn't left her yet, so she wondered what would have happened if she was to touch someone. But she was left to guess, since her very first lesson in telepathy had been interrupted. The strange tickling in her stomach was back as soon as she thought of the lecturer, and it for sure had nothing to do with the talisman. Where is he already? She turned her back on the two still fighting to look at the oval door, expecting the tall figure to show up at any moment.

"He can sleep in the train for as much as he wants to." Sophia heard Kamile's voice in the back.

"Excuse her, Mr Meadowood." Stefan said. "She is just looking for an excuse to be this close to me." His words were followed by Kamile's protest.

Rado left the two alone and joined Sophia. He sighed as he stood right next to her. "Sometimes those two act like five-year-olds."

His words, as well as the quarrel in the back, were muffled. Sophia stared at the door and suddenly felt unease. Her heart started throbbing in her chest. As if driven by some strange yet familiar force, all she could think of was that boy and dark, cold cloud surrounding him. Somewhere in the distance she heard Rado calling out her name. But she couldn't respond. She couldn't move. She couldn't breathe.

"Kol?" Her breath was back for a moment. "Where's Kol?" She stared at Meadowood who stood in front of her, his eyes darkened with fear. He muttered out. "Well, you said he went for some..."

"No." She blurted out, passed by him and rushed through the oval door. "Kol..." she tried to call out but her voice was weak. The dizziness clouded up her mind and, losing her balance, she leaned on the wall.

Muffled voices of the three, their calls and rush echoed through her mind. All she could do was stand still, her eyes shut and breathing deep and uneven.

"He's not here either." The female voice came from Sophia's left.

"Kol!" Echoed through the hall. "Where are you boy!?" Stefan yelled in despair from far. "And why is your house so huge!?"

"Are you okay?" Sophia felt the hand gently grab her shoulder. "Please, you should take a seat." Rado helped her walk back through the oval door and to the dark sofa. "I think you should take your talisman off."

Her hands trembled as she touched the long chain around her neck. Slowly she lifted it over her head and put it down onto the table. The heaviness of her shoulders was gone. So was the dizziness. "What happened?" Sophia raised her head to look at Meadowood. "Where's Kol?"

"Don't worry." His voice was calm but his eyes spoke differently. "Everything will be alright."

"But where is he?" She repeated.

"Definitely not here." Stefan walked in. "But he left this behind."

"It was on the working desk in his own work room." Kamile was right behind him, she held a piece of paper. "It says..." she stared at the note "something... in Latin?"

"Let me see." Meadowood held the paper in his hand, the sparkle of recognition in his eyes. "Miss Russel?"

"Yes?"

"Have you, by any chance, drank a cup of tea made by my son?" He kept his gaze on the written message.

"I have." Sophia answered, remembering the pleasant taste of the hot tea she had tasted a while ago.

Rado smiled. "Well," he raised his head and looked at the confused expressions of the young people in front of him "that for sure gives us some answers."