Chapter 7

"Thank you." Sophia said as she took the steaming cup from Kol's hand.

"You're welcome, Miss Russel." He sat on the other side of the dark sofa. "Enjoy. It's one of my favourites, the cranberry."

Sophia took a sip of the hot tea, the pleasant taste was more than enough to compensate the pickling in her upper lip and tongue. "It's great." She lowered the cup onto her lap. "A bit too hot though, I think I've got a slight burn." As if the hotness of the tea passed over her whole face she felt the heat coming out on her cheeks. Blush - her greatest enemy. "What a great time to be a redhead." She whispered to herself.

"What's wrong with being a redhead?" Kol's words startled her.

"Nothing is wrong with it." She couldn't find the right answer. "It's just that... My cheeks are probably the colour of my hair right now." The words came out before she could stop them.

Kol smiled and looked at her her, then her cheeks, playfully comparing the shades. "Well, not that much."

"I'm sorry, I don't know what's with me and blurting out some weird stuff today." She fumbled the cup in her hands and tried not to make an eye contact with the boy while the heat in her cheeks increased even more.

"Don't worry, you are about to practise telepathy on me so I will probably have a reason to blush too." Kol said and stood up. "So we'll be even, right?"

Sophia raised her head and locked eyes with the tall boy standing in front of her. Her heart fluttered for a moment, but she managed to keep looking at his face. "On... you?"

He nodded. "Well, I don't see any other options. Do you, Miss Russel?"

"Well, no." She paused. "But, are you okay with that? I mean... I'm still not sure how my ability actually works but digging into person's mind is definitely-"

"It's okay." Kol smiled and walked to the working desk. "Thank you for your concern. But don't worry about it." He smirked.

"Why? Are you able to control my ability? To choose what I can see? Is that your... gift?"

"Let's see." Kol walked back and sat right next to Sophia, a book he took out of the drawer was in his hand. "First of all, such an ability doesn't exist. There's no way one could control telepathy. Therefore, that is not my gift." He gave a small smile. "In fact, I don't have a gift. Any gift."

She raised her eyebrows. "Really? So you are just... a regular human?" He was sitting way too close for her to form a normal answer. "Oh, I'm sorry. It's not that it's bad or..."

"Yeah..." Kol smiled and opened the book he was holding. "I am a 'regular human'. I didn't inherit my dad's gift, but living like this with him and helping him with his duty... It kind of feels like I have one too."

"And do you like it? Living like this while you are not... you know... I mean, have you ever thought of a, let's call it 'regular world'?" She looked at him waiting for the answer, but he kept his head low and looked at the book. "I'm sorry if I'm being too nosy, it's just that I'm still new in all of this so I have many questions and doubts. You don't have to answer if it's too personal. I'm sorry again-"

"No, no..." Kol raised his head. "It's okay, I was just lost in the text. Pardon me." He lowered his head slightly as a sign of apology. "There's nothing you should be worried about. We live a completely normal life... regular, as you named it. It's just that... It's a time of a emergency right now, so things are a bit more perplexed."

"Emergency?" She sighted. Stefan's words echoed in her mind. I saved your life, Curles. Those are the bad guys, okay?

"Yeah, that's why you are here. This is the safest place for you now."

"But what kind of emergency? Why doesn't anyone explain it to me already if I am the one who's being hunted?"

"You are not the only one. There's seven of you. Seven gifts and seven people bearing them."

"So Stefan is in danger too?" She hopped in her seat. "And Kamile? Your dad?"

"They can take care of themselves well. But you are the one that can't. So let's start your practise, shall we?" He looked at the opened book again.

"Wait, can't you tell me something more?"

"I'm sorry," Kol looked at her. "But I don't think I should be the one to do that. We will wait for dad to come back, okay?"

"Okay. Thank you." Sophia nodded and smiled. "So shall we begin?" She put down the cup of tea onto the desk. "What do I do?"

Kol smiled back at her. "Well I've just read this... and..." He closed the book and put it next to the cup. "Oh, here's an interesting fact you might like. While you are reading somebody's mind, you will see things which that person wants you to see the least."

"Really?" Her face showed both amazement and concern.

"You'd think I'll now pay for making you blush, wouldn't you?" He smirked. "You see... The reason why I agreed to this without a hitch is that you are a complete beginner, there's no way you can see enough for me to feel bad."

"Excuse me?" Sophia moved in her seat so she would face him. "Is that a dare?"

Kol moved too, so they were directly facing each other now. "Take out your talisman."

She took the old wooden box out of her pocket, opened it and revealed the necklace. For the first time, she carefully put it around her neck. A sudden wave of pleasant warmth run through her body.

"Now, concentrate." Kol added.

"On what?"

"On me."

Her heart skipped a bit, she decisively stared at his eyes.

"Focus on me." He repeated in a whisper.

"As if I'm not doing that for hours now," she thought, surprised she didn't blurt that out too. At least she didn't find it hard to think of him and him only.

"Take my hand." Kol said as he raised his hand of the sofa and offered it to her.

Sophia slowly raised hers too, carefully reaching for his palm. The green eyes were locked with the brown ones. Just as the pale gentle fingertips reached the warmth of other's hand, a footstep cut the silence. "Oi! I'm so sorry, please forgive me." Stefan's deep voice made them jump off their seats. "Ruining such a beautiful moment... If I only knew..." He walked towards them. "Guys, you looked so cute I almost shed a tear." Patting Kol's shoulder he added. "Sorry dude, this is so not your day."

"Stefan..." Sophia said. "Are you okay? There's bloo-" She stared at his clothes, they were ripped and bloody.

He looked down at his appearance. "Oh this? Don't worry, it's not mine." Passing them by he threw himself onto the sofa. "Sorry for ruining your furniture, dude. I really don't have strength to get changed right now."

"No, it's fine. Get some rest." Kol mumbled. "Is dad coming soon?"

"Yeah, he should be here in a while." Stefan spoke with his eyes closed.

"Do you want some tea for a good sleep?"

"Sure, thanks." Stefan sighed.

Kol hurried to the oval door but Stefan's voice made him freeze in the place all of a sudden. "I've got news. Big ones." The latter spoke.

He opened his eyes and looked at Sophia. "What do I do with you, Curles?"