Chapter 5

She was munching on the cookies.

"I can't believe you have an appetite in here." Stefan frowned.

"I can't believe you don't know how appetizing these are." Sophia tossed him a bag full of chocolate cookies grandma had made for her. "Have some."

"Later." He shoved away the bag. "You will save a few for me, won't you?"

"I can't guarantee." She opened the bag and took another one.

They were sitting on the floor since there was no furniture in the dusty room. Buddy's head was laid down on Sophia's lap. She caressed the dog and observed the content of the backpack Stefan was rummaging through. It was impressive how much could fit into it. Even the dark blue blanket that they were sitting on had been pulled out of it.

"You didn't answer," she said.

"Well..." He closed the backpack and put it aside. "It is the same as the last night."

"But what is it?" She put down the cookie she was holding.

"It's..." He paused. "Every story has a dark side, right? Well it's the dark side of this one."

Sophia was unsatisfied with the answer. She got as much information as she could have presumed herself. So she took a deep breath in, ready to whelm him with questions.

But he continued. "Those are the bad guys, okay? We don't really have to talk about them right now."

"And what do we have to talk about?"

"You."

"Me?"

"I guess you should be interested."

"Is it the 'hocus-pocus' thing?" She waved her hand to signify the term.

He laughed.

"You named it. Why are you laughing at me now?" She hit his shoulder.

"It's just that... I've never done this before." His voice suddenly became serious. "Pero was supposed to talk to you. I don't even know where to start. Or how to... name things." He run his hand through the coil black hair.

"Let's start with the most important question. Do I... Can I--"

"Yes." Stefan nodded. "You do and you can." He smirked.

"That thing Kamile did to me? I can do that too?"

"Probably not. Her... let's call it 'gift' is really rare. In fact, she is the only person with such an ability."

"So what's my... gift then?" Her heart was beating fast. For a moment she felt like Stefan could hear it.

"I don't know that." He shook his head. "But we will find out."

"How?" Sophia didn't even notice the dog leaving her side and sneaking outside.

"We will ask someone who might know." Stefan stood up.

"Right now?" She was looking up at him.

"Yeah... Come on." He smiled and offered her his hand. "Let's tour."

"I'm not really... you know... of adventurous kind." She looked at his hand in front of her, hesitating to take it.

"Then you shouldn't have left your house last night."

***

Just one stair was left on the entrance of the rusty cottage. But the wooden porch wasn't too high so they easily jumped off it. At least Stefan did.