- The Disappearance of Happiness

August 3rd, present time, 17 years old

The roof panels scraped his palms like sandpaper as Finn Wolfhard stood there with a jean jacket that had white fur lining inside, a black greasy shirt, and a olive colored beanie covering his raven luscious curls. His mind wandered into a empty place as his shoulders relaxed and the satisfying yet poisonous cloud of smoke existed his mouth like if it was his normal breathing. It was though, there was never a day where clean air would exit and enter his mouth. Finn looked around the oh so familiar depressing neighborhood which the building he's been forced to call home is buried in.

"No Eric! I'm not doing it anymore! My son is getting the worst influence from that piece of shit you call your son!" The chripy bitchy voice of Carol rang in Finns ears even from outside. Finn chuckled and took another hit, as the regular discouraging  words spewed at him by his dad, and the woman who is supposed to be his mother but in his mind it's just plainly his dads prostitute. The rest of the yelling was now muffled but heard, as his dad roughly slammed the door. There was a vibration in his pocket as he digged his way through the khakis pocket throwing out gum wrappers and receipts, pulling out his phone.

Caleb: So when are we going to make this happen Wolfhard? I have my guest room ready.

Finn looked into his bedroom window and saw his black backpacks laying packed and ready on his made bed. He sighed and took off his phone case, taking out the five dollar bill. He held the green silky papery material in between his lanky fingers and chipped black painted nails.

Finn: tonight at 11:30, I'll be there by 1:00pm at the latest.

Finn couldn't take it anymore. This place, the people, the pain. Everything was to much for him. He wasn't happy. So he's going back, but not to her. He can't go through that again just to cause more pain, and to get attached. Don't get him wrong, Finn misses her more than anything but it's to dangerous for him.

10:50pm

Finn goes inside the room he's been imprisoned in for 7 years. Not much, just a twin sized bed with grey plaid bedsheets, an old nightstand with an older lamp on it. Creamy walls with paint peeling off, and a simple twin peaks poster. He grabs the heavy bag and slings it over his back and adjusts his beanie. He walks down the creaky hallway not caring about the sound of his heavy footsteps. He made it to the torn down oak door with multiple dents, unnoticed. Finn looked around one last time. The antique flowered couch, the breakfast trays, and an old as hell tv. Breathing in the smell of alcohol, sweat, sex, and cigarettes. What a shit place.

"Goodbye fuckers." He mumbled and slid out the door.

***

"I'M GOING OH MY GOSH." Millie groaned as she quickly put her adidas and scurried to the door grabbing the leash and calling Daisy.

"Who's gonna go on a walk? You are." Millie whispered in a high, gentle voice to the dog as she attached the leash to her collar. The dog barked in response as Millie stepped outside, squinting from the bright sun on her face.

Millie walked tiredly along the rocky pavement her little yorkie following close behind. Millie suddenly stopped as she faced the familiar place. The forest. She sucked in a breath and kept walking. The vivid memories kept running through her mind, the nostalgic feeling of freedom and happiness hit Millie. They were with each other for 7 years and now they had been separated for 7 years. Millie shook her head, now an old habit as if it would shake anything she didn't want away.

Sweat formed on her face as the sun still beamed on her dewy face and her bare feet slipping from the worn out shoes. Then her dog started pooping.

"Ugh, shit. Millie one thing, bring the poop bags." Millie mentally faced planed herself as her dog kept on letting out a stinky waste. Millie felt as if she was being watched, paranoia probably . Until she turned around and saw her neighbor staring bullets into her. As Daisy happily kept pooping on their yard. A crimson color formed on Millie's face as she pulled Daisy mid-poop, causing the little dog to yelp. Millie frantically speed walked in the direction of her house as she was yelling at herself from being so god damn stupid.

"You forget everything Millie, can you do something right?!" Millie told herself as if she was her own Mother. She then turned to the innocent brown dog.

"You! On all the days you don't poop you poop now!" Millie then also started yelling at the dog who stood there unfazed. She strongly walked to the house pulling daisy along, still glancing at the woods along the way.

"How is he?"

"Does his dad treat him well?"

"Does he remember me?"

"Probably not."

"Does he miss me?"

"Idiot, if he doesn't remember you how is he supposed to miss you?"

"He probably remembers me."

"No he doesn't."

"Come back Finnie."

These were the thoughts that went through Millie's mind everyday. It was driving her insane. Of course those thoughts always get interrupted by a certain someone.

"Millster, if you keep standing in the middle of the road they're gonna run you over!" Millie's head snapped at the voice and a smile formed on her face. Daisy barked as Noah came closer and kneeled down to the dogs level.

"And Hello to you Daisy." Noah said as he gently patted the dogs head and stood back up to Millie.

"Hey, wanna come in?" Millie asked, as she started towards the house waiting for Noah to follow. The friends footsteps echoed through the air, along with the quiet rustle of the leaves. Noah just shrugged even though she didn't see it. They made their way inside the creaky house and took off their shoes and Daisy's leash. The way to Millie's room not a word was said. Not that they minded. Millie walked in to her plain white room, the only decorations were lights on her metal headboard, and 54 glow up stars on her ceiling.

"You should make a wish ya know." Noah  suddenly spoke. He was laying on her bed, his eyes closed and his hands behind his head.

"Why? They're not even real. They barely even glow." Millie said with a sassy voice as she laid next to Noah.

"One glows." He said as the stars lightly gleamed, all except one which was as bright as the others were all those years ago.

"It's a hunk of plastic, Noah." Millie said as she also closed her eyes.

"Your mom told me how you used to be so happy and bubbly and you had this big ass personality and imagination. Why don't you use it for once." He said calmly, looking at her and wishing he was able to experience happy Millie.

"Happiness doesn't last forever."

AN: I'm not mad about it... but I'm thinking this book is going to be really cliche so I'm sorry, but I'll try my best to be unique. also thanks for everyone who's reading! 💘

- Dani 🌞