IX - Enchanted Creatures

Chapter IX

Enchanted Creatures

"If I may ask, princess, how come you ended up in this part of the woods in the first place?" Mama asked. They were currently on their way towards the huge archway, along with Mama are her ogre body guards, Lorraine, Guinevere, a fairy pixie named Arion (who was clothed in green and brown, his eyes were hazel and his hair was brunette), Clockwise and his new monkey-best friend-who-stole-all-their-rations-last-night, Maurice.

"Well, at first, little Maurice here kinda took our rations—" Lorraine started off, "—Took are rations? This monkey stole our rations!" Gwen ended it. ("Now, now, Gwen," Lorraine said.)

"Maurice..." Mama gave the monkey a look, and Maurice who was on Clockwise's head was smiling sheepishly. "You and the animals have plenty of food last night, why did you steal theirs?"

"I wasn't really planning in stealing their food, Mama–" he rambled on while laughing nervously. "–And why were you outside the Enchanted Forest in the first place?" Mama said, her hairless eyebrows raising up.

"I just wanna go out to take a stroll, see if I can see...you know, humans," he said. Why did he want to see humans?

"But as I've said before, Maurice, not all humans are good. And once they see a talking monkey, you know the odds to that." She said.

"It's not like I'll talk to them," the monkey mumbled.

"Don't you mumble on me!" Mama said, hitting him slightly with her hand. Her accent was thicker than it already was.

"But Mama, Clockwise here have been outside the Enchanted Forest for a long time, almost all of Gwen's life." Lorraine said, "No one has ever harmed him or anything."

"No, we're still very careful with it, Rain. It's very painful for Clockwise though, he loves to talk." Gwen looked at Lorraine who said, "Rain?" with a smile.

"What use is your voice if you will not use it anyway!" Clockwise huffed.

"My family and, a few of our neighbours know about it. But you know Bondoc, the people there are not like other people," Gwen said.

"Yes, that is true," Lorraine said.

"I've been to lovely Bondoc," Arion flew gracefully between their heads. "You have?" Lorraine asked enthusiastically.

"Oh yes, Bondoc was beautiful! I remember how the people loved parties and music and dancing...it was fun," He said while nodding all the time.

"Seems like it wasn't only Maurice who sneaks out the Forest," the princess teased, and whispered to Gwen and Arion.

"Yeah, but Mama need not to know about that," he smiled and winked.

"When was that?" the princess asked.

"20 years ago," he said, humming a tune. Lorraine and Gwen looked at each other. How come a seemingly teenage-looking pixie have done something long before than how he was supposed to exist?

"20 years ago? Are you not like, 16?" Gwen said incredulously, Arion looked like he was of the same age as them, maybe even younger.