XII - Prince Benedict of Anorok

(I need at least 4 VOTES on this chapter to release the next one. Thank you! We have 3 - 4 chapters left and I have written the next 2 :)

Chapter XII

Prince Benedict of Anoroc

LORRAINE

It wasn't long after Lorraine felt Guinevere's uneasiness. She can clearly see how Gwen wanted to prolong this but knew she was just scared. Lorraine too, in fact, there was too many people around.

The truth is, Lorraine was dealing with an existential crisis the whole day. Her mind was having a brutal war with her heart.

"Let's get out of here, hm?"

The two ladies climbed to the tree houses, leaning against the wooden railings as they admired the colorful feast below.

"My brother and sister...are twins," Lorraine said, munching on the muffins she sneaked from the buffet. "Lucas is the quiet one and Laura is...well, the total opposite. When we were younger, I used to bully her all the time–playful bully, mind you–and she would have these tantrums where the whole kingdom could hear her wail."

"Hey, I remembered that."

Lorraine shot Gwen a look, "You did not. I was exaggerating!" She then sighed, "I wish you could meet them. My parents would be pleased to meet Guinevere Reinhart," she added.

"Could?"

Lorraine left her mouth agape, "I mean, if you could–I mean if you want to. I would love you to meet my parents in person. They'd be eternally grateful for your heroic good deeds."

"Heroic good deeds," Gwen echoed, "I don't know about that. Thy heart's too frozen."

"You think my heart's frozen?"

Gwen blinked, a look of panic flashed on her face, "No, I said my heart is frozen."

"Gwen, 'thy' means your."

"My mistake. Please, let me reiterate. My heart is too frozen."

Lorraine looked down, shaking her head, "I don't think you have a frozen heart. I got a sneak peak of it, it's actually warm and cozy."

The raven-haired smiled at the blonde, and failed at suppressing her blushing. "I for one think you have a heart of gold, princess."

The princess looked impressed. "So this is a charm battle, I see now."

"Indeed it is. You just lost."

Lorraine playfully disagreed, but they continued throwing cheesy pickup lines to each other. Some moment passed, and Gwen asked a question she wasn't prepared to answer herself.

"Why do you think so highly of me? When honestly you're just as resilient and strong-willed as you describe me. I would never have survived alone in a tower for years. I don't want to say I'm sorry that that happened to you because I know you don't want my sympathy; and I know you don't need anyone else's sympathy. But...I just wish I could've done something sooner."

"Hey," Lorraine shushed Gwen by touching her cheek, "You're not blaming yourself for that now, are you? You're here now and we're together, that's all that matters."

She hadn't even realized that her hand was already on top of Gwen's until the latter's face turned from peaceful to worrisome. This troubled Lorraine too. Did Gwen do not want her to touch her hand?

"I'm sorry, I didn't me–"

She pulled away but her hand was snatched back, this time it was held, as tight as not wanting to let go. "Don't you apologize. Tell me what this is, Lorraine."