XI - Darling I do

Chapter XI

Darling I Do

GUINEVERE

Her teeth chattered as she pushed through the surface of the water. Gwen was a few meters away, it looked like she had just gotten out of the water too–her hands wiped off the water from her face to dry it off. She glanced at Lorraine, her teeth chattering from the cold as well. "It's fre-e-ezing," she said through gritted teeth, holding herself to at least block the cold breeze from hitting her bare skin.

Lorraine, on the other hand, kept her whole body from the chin down, soaked into the water. Her golden hair glided behind her head as she creeped up slowly towards Gwen, who got easily scared when she suddenly pinched her thigh. Her expression made Lorraine laugh.

"You know, you didn't really answer my question," the princess said, letting her feet touch the ground. They were both now on the same level as each other–with only their waist up exposed. "What question?" Although Gwen exactly knew what question it was.

"Are you kidding me right now?" Lorraine said crossing her arms.

Guinevere gave her a mischievous look, and next she knew, her face was splashed with water, making her go blind for a second. As she recovered, she saw the dark-haired girl by a huge rock, with only her lips up seen; still wearing the same smirk as before, "Why are you so interested to know?"

Lorraine raised a brow at her, "Why were you so interested to know mine?" She asked rhetorically, slowly approaching her.

"Well?"

"Yes I have, her name was Jena and we were best friends; but it didn't end well anyway, so let's just stop it there."

"Nope, nuh-uh, how did you guys meet?"

"I met her on her wedding day."

The blonde stared at her in shock and amusement at the same time. "What?!"

"Yup, I did here flowers. Me and my sister did."

"Oh, you have a flower shop?"

"Yes, we do. It's a wonderful business. When we get home I'll take you to our shop myself."

"Alright, so wait, back to the story. Did she know? What happened? How did everything go?" Gwen rolled her eyes sarcastically at the princess's enthusiasm.

"Of course she knew," Gwen started. "We were both in love actually. But we also both knew we couldn't let things go further, and she soon then realized what we were doing was wrong in all aspects. That was a long time ago anyway, they're happily married for 3 years."

What are the odds. Both of them have gone through the most unfortunate event one could think of: heartbreak. Any physical pain hurts nothing like emotional pain. Yet, without it, one wouldn't learn compassion and acceptance. That's the thing about pain; it demands to be felt.

"The world is so unfair to us, don't you think?" Lorraine said, as she played with Gwen's moon necklace. She was now incredibly too close to Gwen' face for her to handle. "Why is it, we don't get the ones that we want?

The older girl stared at the blonde, watching her as she admired her necklace. She suddenly felt a shiver down her spine. The danger of slowly falling for the princess, creeped up to her like an old friend. She will not do the same mistake as before. But was it even a mistake if you wanted it? If you both wanted it?

"Maybe that's the one lesson life wants to teach us. We don't always get the ones we love. There's a reason me and Jena didn't end up together, and there's a reason why she left you and you never saw her again," Gwen flinched a shoulder, "Maybe there's someone else destined for you. Someone better," this time, Gwen knew there was no denying it anymore–she had fallen for the princess. The last statement hit differently among the rest; deep inside, she wanted Lorraine to be that someone destined for her. She didn't care if Lorraine wouldn't reciprocate her feelings; she's worth another broken heart.