XVI. Isaiah

~                              

I hear a knock on the door and I slowly get up from the couch and go downstairs to the door. I look through the peephole and almost drop my croissant. Max is standing there looking around and waiting patiently. I knew she was coming but I didn't know when, and I'm not wearing a shirt. I open the door and she smiles at me, then her eyes go to the brace that's on my ribs. 

"Hey, good morning," I say while closing the door behind her and quickly eating the rest of my croissant. "Good morning," she says while looking around. "You have a nice house by the way." I smile at her, I don't know why I'm getting nervous all of a sudden. "So, I didn't really expect you to come." She turns around and looks at me up and down, which makes me shiver inside. 

"I told you I would, and I never go back on my word, but also I didn't want to be alone in my house for most of the day." She goes over to the pictures that are hung on the wall and takes a look at them. I don't know how to act around her when she's in my house, the place I feel both safe and unsafe in. The place with so much darkness but also light that I can't balance the two out. 

"I understand what you mean; are you hungry? I can make you some breakfast really fast, just let me put a shirt on first." She looks at me and my brace again and then says, "Yea sure, that would be nice." I run upstairs to my room and grab the first shirt that I see and put it on. When I go back downstairs, Max is sitting in my kitchen island. I walk in and ask, "Will an egg biscuit be okay? It's kind of the only thing I have." 

"Yea that's fine, thanks," she says while I go to the fridge. I pull out the eggs and start cooking, once it's done I grab a bagel and put it in the toaster. "Can you cook?" Max asks me as I wait for the bagel to be done. I look at her and say, "I can only cook breakfast foods really, my mom taught me when I was a kid." She nods her head and a minute later the bagel pops out of the toaster and Max jumps in surprise. I chuckle when she jumps and then grab the bagel. 

"Hey, don't laugh, it came out of nowhere, I wasn't scared." I place the egg on the bagel and present it to Max on a plate. "Sure you weren't," I say sarcastically. She smiles and my heart flutters. I turn away from her and pretend to be cleaning the counter. I don't know why my heart feels like it's going to explode. I barely know this girl but I feel so connected to her and I don't know what this feeling is. 

"Hey, this is really good, I'm surprised," she says and I turn back around to face her. "Thanks, but why are you surprised? You didn't think I could do it, did you?" I smirk at her and she says, "No, I just don't see you as someone who cooks." She takes a bite of the biscuit and licks her lips afterwards. I stare at her lips while she licks them and it makes me want to kiss her.

She looks up towards me and I avert my eyes quickly.
"So, my parents don't come home until around 5 so if you want to hang out somewhere, we totally can." If my dad finds out I left the house, he might start working from home just to keep an eye on me.
"Well I was thinking we could just hang out here and play a game or something, if that's okay with you of course." She says while getting up and throwing away her plate.

I nod my head and say, "Yeah that's totally fine with me." After I clean the dishes I lead Max upstairs to the family room. She takes a minute to look around and then sits next to me on the couch.
"If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your mom? Everyone knows she passed away, but nobody knows what happened."

I look away for a second, trying to prepare myself to tell her. Other than Shawn, I never really told anyone what happened to her. This isn't something you tell someone you met a few weeks ago.
"Um, there was an accident and she was sent to the hospital but didn't make it," I say leaving out a lot of details.