Chapter 11- I Watch The Stars

I sat in one of the old porch chairs and stared up at the stars for the second time tonight. I hadn't watched the stars since I'd been in Tulsa. It had been a nightly routine for me in New York, each night you'd make a wish before bed. I guess I hadn't done it yet here because I didn't have to wish for anything.

I jumped at the sound of the slamming screen door, but I quickly returned to watching the stars when I realized it was only Dallas coming out for a cigarette. "Can I have a drag?"

"You hate cigarettes, remember kid?" He held it between his lips dangerously.

"Tonight I don't." He handed it to me and I took a puff. I coughed, but it did calm me down. I knew he wouldn't have given it to me any other night but tonight.

"How ya doin?"

"Fine, I guess. I'm a little cold." I hadn't gotten a shirt on yet, still just covering up my bra with Dally's jacket.

"I'll get you something to sleep in, kid."

"Did you grab my jacket before we left?"

"Yeah, I gave it to Darry so he could wash it for you." There was blood all over it. That's why he didn't give it back to me.

We sat in silence for a while, but not the akward kind. It was nice just sitting there with him. It reminded me that he was still real.

"Are you afraid of love?" I broke the silence. He sighed a deep sigh and sat down on the porch next to me, not bothering with a chair as we both stared up at the stars. They had a way of making it easier.

"How can anyone not be?" His eyes flickered to mine and I gave him a small smile, placing my hand on his shoulder. He took a long drag and held it in for just a second too long. I turned my head back to the stars.

"Why did you come out here?"

He chuckled to himself before he stood up and put out his cigarette. "To watch the stars, kid." I was all by myself again, even though I didn't really feel like it. A part of me thought that maybe he had wished for me.