Chapter 19- I Meet Pony's Girlfriend

Sandy wasn't at the house very much after that, but I knew Soda and her were talking. He was constantly reassuring me things between us were fine, and that Sandy being here wasn't going to change anything. I wasn't sure I believed him. 

About a week after that dinner, it was homecoming, and Ponyboy's first dance. He was taking this real nice girl named Jackie, they got along real well. She was smart, just like him, and was real sweet. Sometimes she was so sweet she got on my nerves, but Ponyboy seemed to really like her.

All day, Ponyboy had all of us running around to try to get everything perfect. I had gone about 20 miles north of Tulsa just to find the perfect corsage for her. But I have to be honest, seeing Ponyboy caring so much about a girl was new, I mean he cared a lot about everything, but this girl really put him through a loop. He was, dare I say it, in love with her.

The whole gang, even Darry, was at the Curtis' that night helping Ponyboy get ready. He looked real sharp in his suit that Steve picked out for him, even though he still looked like a kid to me. I think he always will, he was a kid brother to me. He was one person I felt like I had to protect. Maybe that's the way Dally felt about Johnny and me, maybe that's why he left. He thought he was keeping me safer.

Ponyboy was fiddling with his tie, it looked like he had never seen one in his life. Me and Sodapop were on the couch, our bodies as close as they could possibly get. Steve and Two were messing around in the kitchen, and Johnny and Dallas were having a smoke. Darry was looking at his newspaper at the kitchen table, looking more relaxed than he had all week. He had been working extra long hours, barely ever getting any sleep anymore. I tried to help out the best I could, giving him most of my paycheck every time I got one. But there were too many bills.

Sodapop rubbed my back as I looked at Ponyboy again. His face was twisted in confusion, as he couldn't seem to get the knot right. "Hey Darry, can you help me?"

Darry's sighed as he got up. He was really tired, but he couldn't say no to Ponyboy.

"No, Darry, sit down." I got up and smiled, Sodapop groaning, and walked to the bathroom. He was super nervous. He looked like he was gonna pee himself.

"Thanks, Nic." Pony grinned and jumped when the door opened, Jackie poking her head through the door.

"Ugh, he-hey, Jackie." He looked at the ground shyly, and I elbowed him as hard as I could. Sodapop laughed, making me laugh as he looked to me. His laugh, just like his smile, was contagious.

"Hey Ponyboy. You look real nice." Her dress was real pretty, bright yellow with a ribbon around the waist, and her hair was pinned back with a barrette that looked like a butterfly. Her eyes were kinda like Pony's, big and dreamy. I could see why they worked well together; They saw the world in the same way.

"You do too. I really like your dress." He strolled to where she was standing while she giggled. She was as crazy about him as he was about her. They interlaced their fingers and turned to room, waiting for someone to say something.

"Well don't let us hang you up, kid." I bounced back to the couch, sitting down and laughing at their innocence. "Go, have fun." They looked at each other and waved, the sound of Jackie's heels echoing as they clicked across the pavement.

The rest of the guys went home not too long after that, and Darry and Sodapop went to sleep. I didn't want to sleep in the attic that night, the night before the door kept squeaking so I couldn't sleep. I decided to stay in the couch.

I couldn't sleep at all, I just kept tossing and turning and staring at the ceiling. Maybe it was because Ponyboy was on his first date with a girl and wouldn't be back until 12. Or maybe it was something else.

Someone's creaking footsteps down the stairs made me flinch at around 11, and I turned around to face the cushions. I don't know why I was so scared, but when a warm body crawled next to me and wrapped their arms, I felt safe again.

"Are you awake?" Sodapop's tired voice rang through my ears, his head nestled in the crook of my neck.

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't sleep. I thought this would help."

I turned back around and snuggled into his chest while he drew patterns on my back. "Don't be silly, I want to cuddle with you." That's the last thing I remembered before I fell asleep.