Chapter 20- I Sleep Talk

I woke up that morning around 6 to Sodapop's eyes staring deeply into mine. We were still cuddled close with our legs intertwined, but Sodapop looked like he had been awake for a while.

"Morning." I yawned as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, still not saying anything. "What, do I have bed head?"

He laughed quietly before giving me a smirk. "No, but this isn't exactly the first time we have had this conversation this morning." I threw myself back and groaned, Sodapop laughing as I did so.

"Oh god, what did I say?" Dallas used to tell me I talked in my sleep, but I never thought much of it. I just thought of it as an excuse to annoy him really. 

"Nothing really, though you are quite endearing. I never knew your favorite candy was Skittles." I giggled and leaned in smiling, but the sound of footsteps pounding down the stairs made me pause. Soda jumped up from the couch and sat in the chair, opening a magazine while I pretended to sleep.

"What are you doing up?" I could hear Darry moving the glasses around to find a coffee mug, and Sodapop flipping through an old magazine next to me.

"I couldn't sleep." I smiled to myself at Sodapop's half truth, but forced it back down when I felt Darry standing behind me. He gently shook me by my shoulder.

"Hey, Nic, come on. It's time for school." I groaned slightly and turned around to face him, waking the fake sleepiness out of my eyes. Sodapop tried to conceal his smile with his magazine; I'm guessing he didn't know how good of a liar I could be.

"Come on, I know. Pony's getting up too." Ponyboy came down the stairs and shook his head, knowing about my little lie. I hoped he took my threat earlier seriously, I couldn't handle Darry making me stay at Bucks while I dated Sodapop.

Darry was quite strict about me and Sodapop's relationship. He even made me sign a contract saying that I would never hurt him, and that we would try our hardest to keep things PG13 if you know what I mean. I didn't blame Darry; I'd act the same way if Sodapop was my kid brother.

School that day was just like every other. I ate lunch with Steve, Pony, and Two-Bit. School got off at 3, and the guys had left earlier that day for some weird reason, so I had to walk home by myself. 

I opened the door and  sat myself on the couch, opening my book. I didn't know anybody was home until Ponyboy ran down the stairs.

"Hey, Ponyboy. Where is everybody?" I sat the book on the coffee table as Ponyboy turned his back to me. I could tell something was up even before he started to talk. He may have been a little odd to me at times, but nothing like this.

"Me, Sodapop, Steve, Dal, and Johnny are -" Pony started, but was cut off by voices from upstairs.

"Dally, the blue goes on the other side."

"FUCK." Dally cursed quietly to himself after Sodapop's comment, and my curiosity peaked. It must have been important if Dally was helping. He didn't like to help anyone unless he had to.     

"Upstairs as you can probably guess."

"Ponyboy, can you please turn around." I tried my hardest to put on my sweet innocent baby girl voice and he slowly turned to look at me but stuck his hands in his pockets hastily. He started to say something, but he was cut off by more shouting from upstairs.

"Why can't we just use my idea?"

"Because, Steve, the last time we used any of your ideas the whole kitchen almost blew up."

"Oh, come on Johnny. Don't be like that."

I tried to get my question out before the gang started talking again. "Why are you hiding your hands in your pockets?"

"What are you talking about?" He could tell I wasn't buying it, so he took them out, and his hands were bright purple all the way up to his wrists.

"Why are your hands purple?"

"That's a very good question, so why don't you give me some time to think about it while you go to the Dingo and get a burger? Good?" He sprinted up the stairs as fast as possible slammed the door to their bedroom. I heard it lock, and apparently he had told the guys that I was here because I didn't hear any more voices as I sat back down and read my book some more. Even if I went up there, it's not like they would tell me. And I quite honestly didn't want to know.